• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about six differnet memory packages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonFire

Ok, Im looking to replace my Corsair PC2700 that does a max of 215Mhz (DDR 430MHz) @ 2.5-3-3-11 (won't boot up using CAS3) and was looking around on Newegg.

Iv been looking at the PC3200 ram with the lowest timings and came across two things I dont get...

What is the difference between this , this , and this that there is such a price differnece?

I was also looking at the OCZ ram and got a little confused with the pricing again.

Take a look here , here , and here
Is 2-2-2-5 1T really worth the extra $60.50 over 2-3-2-6 1T?

Now I dont understand the Corsair pricing since they all have the same timings? What am I missing?

yeah, u have a point. with the corsair they look to use the same chips(tccd) but with different packaging and maybe lights and eyecandy on the more expensive sets(im assuming). with the ocz the 2.2.2.5 is tccd which is in he the ballpark price of this kind of ram. the 2.3.2.5 is probably ch5 which oc's pretty well (220/240+). the last set is probably something made from other chips (mosel infineon etc.) that dont run as well. thats why it really pays to check out ur system needs and then do a little homework with ram. u can save substantially that way..

And of course the way you really save is to avoid people like corsair and OCZ entirely, and buy the cheapest quality module that has the favorable memory chips on it (like PDP Patriot XBL or PQI Turbo). People like Corsair and OCZ don't mind introducing a little bit of confusion into the buying decision--after all, if things ever became really clear in the buyers' mind they wouldn't buy anything from them at all.

Back