• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP auto shutdown not working.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RPM_Computing

Hey all!

I am experiencing an issue when I attempt to shutdown the system, it prompts me with the "it is now safe to shutdown your system" message. Attempting to manually shutdown the system by holding the power button does not work. I have tested with a new psu, erased and reinstalled the system, tested with only the HD and no other peripherals plugged in.

The system specs are as follows:

P-III 600E
GfXcel Mobo
128 MB RAM
Quantum 4.1 GB HD

I had this mobo setup with win98 and a different HD and it was able to shutdown withought any issues. Is there something I am missing here?

any help would be appreciated.

tia

Rick.

SYMPTOMS
When you try to shut down your Microsoft Windows XP-based or Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, the computer may stop responding, and you may receive the following message:
It is now safe to turn off your computer
CAUSE
This behavior may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true: • Your computer supports the Advanced Power Management (APM) feature, but the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACP)-compliant basic input/output system (BIOS) is not configured correctly to permit the operating system to turn off the power supply.
• During an upgrade of the operating system, Windows does not detect that the computer is ACPI-compliant.
• An OEM device driver or service is installed on your computer that is preventing the computer from correctly shutting down.
• Your computer is not ACPI-compliant.
taken from this KB Article

so I would check your BIOS to see if it supports the feature. Seeing as how you had Win98 on it Id guess its a slightly older board and lacking some features or just needing an updated BIOS

Thanks for the reply pik4chu. I was checking for BIOS updates when you had posted but found an easy fix.

I opened power options under control panel, selected the APM tab and selected enable APM support and voila!

Back