• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Load Balancing 3+ NICs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-Mag

Is it possible with winXP Pro?

I have my DSL connect and a wireless network adapter runnning off some random unprotected network. I was thinking about getting cable too...

Anyway I have both the wireless and the dsl connect up but I can't get any higher speeds than what the DSL gives... I heard there is an option to bridge them together, but which one should I do it on?

Also, could I bridge 3 adapters?

One more question: I know that if I use wireless only I get crappy pings, but the DSL is fine... If I bridge them will my pings go to the lowest or what?

Thanks

I honestly dont know how bridging works, (or is supposed to work) all I know is whenever it gets enabled on a machine its network connection stops working. I do know that load balancing is avaliable on windows 2000 servers. But not sure about XP unless thats what they call network bridging now.

Oh and I dont quite udnerstand what your asking.

So you have DSL, and your (unlawfully) using some random persons wireless network, and want to get cable. and then group them all together into one logical internet connection to improve speeds?

pik4chu said:
So you have DSL, and your (unlawfully) using some random persons wireless network, and want to get cable. and then group them all together into one logical internet connection to improve speeds?

Exactly! Cept for the unlawful part... I mean, it isn't illegal to use a public open wifi network...

oh well I didnt read "some random unprotected network" as a "publicaly avaliable purpousely unsecured wireless internet conenction" .....my bad.... -_-

as a second answer I recall someone saying this could be done using a *nix router. but thats not my thing so dont know how to go about doing it.

pik4chu said:
as a second answer I recall someone saying this could be done using a *nix router. but thats not my thing so dont know how to go about doing it.

Yeah I have seem some reviews on various routers that have multiple wan ports and they can do load balancing, but essentially anything that can be done with a router could be done with software and enough nic cards built into my machine. I just didn't know if XP did it or if I have to find another software package

Back