• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Dilemma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerXLT8

I have 1gb. of Corsair XMS PC3200C2 2-3-3-6 but it is in 4x256. I can't seem to get 1gb. stable when at 219FSB or 438mhz. I've tried many different combo of timings, voltages ect. When I run 512 mb(2x256)@428mhx or 219FSB, it's pprime stable for 24hrs. So I can't decide if running only 512mb overclocked is better then running 1gb. at stock FSB. When I run the 1gb. oc'ed to 219FSB I can game fine, but It fails prime95 after about 6 hrs. What do you guys think?

A rig that fails Prime after six hours is far from unstable, in my experience (especially if you're referring to the Blend-test). Perhaps you'd have to play games for weeks or months before experiencing your first OC-related crash. I figure your problem could be related to the following:

1. The modules aren't of similar quality, so that the worst stick limits the others. Not even two identical components will perform equally. Is one set brand new while the other is old and has been through months of burning-in? In that case I'd try a burn-in wizard (like in SiSoft Sandra) for a few hours and Primetest again.

2. Using four sticks instead of two, obviously doubles the number of banks and chips. The memory controller might need more time (an extra clock) in order to address the correct bank (usually known as Command Rate 1T or 2T). This function isn't accessible in every BIOS (for some very weird reason), but if it is, try setting it to 2T.

Note that Command Rate could as well be called "CPU Interface" (disabled = 2T) or "CPC". Not familiar with your mobo, so I'd check the manual if you can't find it in the BIOS.

I'd go with 1GB. I find exiting games is better with 1GB, the system comes back under my control much quicker.

Memory controller is being stressed heavily because of the 4 modules. It's always harder to maintain a high FSB/memory overclock when you add more modules to the mix.

Go with the 1 gig. crank the h@ll out of em. If u can game etc without it failing i wouldnt worry. prime is supposed to give u an idea of how stable ur rig is at a certain speed, failing once every six hrs isnt a big worry in my book. bsod's and defaulting to desktops are..

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna try and change the command rate, i.e. I'm going to see if my bios allows me to switch from 1t to 2t. I actually had 2 of the sticks longer then the 2 new ones, and I was seriously beating on the sticks for the past 2-3 months. I'm gonna give sandra burn in a try.

I also noticed what Know Nuttin was talking about how when running 1gb. the games exits much faster. Is there any way to tweak the memory controller to make it handle the 4 sticks better, I have already did the vdimm mod and my ram can't take more then 2.94 volts.

Aight I'm gonna crank up the FSB and frie my ram like mozzarella sticks. lol j\m. Next ram I buy I'm buying matched sticks.

I'm running Sandra burn-in, but should I run the memory benchmark only or should i run both the memory benchmark and cache\memory benchmark?

When I last ran the burn-in it made a huge difference for my sticks. I just let the ordinary memory bandwidth test run continuously for a few hours.

I realized I was running the memory burn in with my FSB at 219mhz. I set my system to run at defualt FSB. Do I burn in at defualt or with a OC? Just to be safe I'm gonna burn in at default FSB unless I hear otherwose.

Back