• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap DDR2 Ram for P4 3.4 and PCI-e mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DenniSTi

Registered
I need some DDR2 RAM to go with my new intel motherboard and I'm on a limited budget. I can get a stick of 512mb Corsair value RAM for like $80 now, and eventually get more once I can afford to do so. So I want to know if 512 would be enough with my setup and a pci-e 6600GT. I may overclock slightly, but let me know if that's bad idea.

Really consider two sticks of RAM to take advantage of dual channel and the doubled amount of memory bandwidth.

I definetly plan to when I can afford it, but if it's just a luxury I'd rather wait then blow more money. If it really is going to hurt performance in a negative way, they I'll have to reconsider.

batboy said:
Really consider two sticks of RAM to take advantage of dual channel and the doubled amount of memory bandwidth.

Now that I read it again, are you saying that it'd be better to get like 2 sticks of 256mb RAM than 1 stick of 512mb? I only ask because I'm ignorant when it comes to the benefits of RAM and a dual channel setup.

Yes, that would be better. You could always add two more 256MB sticks later for a 1GB total. Dual channel makes a big difference with Intel CPUs.

DaveB said:
Yes, that would be better. You could always add two more 256MB sticks later for a 1GB total. Dual channel makes a big difference with Intel CPUs.

That's what I'll do then, since I have 4 RAM slots on my motherboard.

Back