• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows XP is not opening files that I click on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kevin007

I try to open things on my desktop and some things will open and some on them won't. It will give an error message that says that you have typed the file incorrectly, try typing it again. Please help me. :cry:

I tried opening the spyware programs I have already and they won't open but I think that it is a virus and I am going to reformat most likely.

what would be the best way to fix this unknow problem? since I can't scan for virus should I just reformat?????????????

I do have interntet because I am on OC but I will try that I guess. Please I could use more help. I did try and go in Safe Mode it did not help still could not do anything the only thing I can open is Mozilla. I am on the same computer right now.

Kevin007 said:
I try to open things on my desktop and some things will open and some on them won't. It will give an error message that says that you have typed the file incorrectly, try typing it again. Please help me. :cry:
That may not be a virus.....try restoring system back to an earlier date first, before you reformat......ouch
:santa:

The problem is I can't get in the control panel but all of the icons get the same error message as the desktop. So I can't use system restore.

also it won't let me open exe. programs so I can't use a virus program that is an exe. programs because when I try to install it, it won't open.

will reformating get rid of anything that is causing my computer to go wacky? I think it is the only solution to my problem.

use an online virus scan - norton has on - also you can do a "repair" with XP of your installtion - i think, that wil kepe all apps and programs in place and more or less replace all system files.

thanks for the advice redduc900 it helped alot all of my programs are working, I bookmarked that site for future use.

Back