• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp PRO repair needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atomic hamster

Ok a few days ago I instaled a air duct, and i guess i shocked my hard drive, so my windows xp pro is now missing files and stuff. anyways the xp pro i was using was from the xp pro upgrade. I restalled home, and put in the xp pro upgrade cd, and thier is no repair option. So now none of my programs work, so i can no longer even open up my openoffice files so i can do my school work so my questons is how can i repair window xp pro?. Thx for you time and considaration

Last edited:
Just mentioning this since your kinda new so that your familiar with the policy in this new place - bittorent and warezing through it is not permitted to be discussed, just a heads up. :) Anyways, welcome to the forums! ;)

You should open a command prompt and enter the command sfc /scannow. This will ensure all your system files you need are in proper working condition like they should be.

If you completely installed overtop of your last OS installation, then the registry is gone and you will have to reinstall any applications - you cannot repair this, unless maybe you had backed up your registry prior to reinstalling, and even then things would likely turn out to be a mess. If you reinstall your applications, you will have no problem using the openoffice files. You can obtain openoffice here - http://download.openoffice.org/

Yeah there would have been a couple of much easier ways to do this if you had not installed xphome on top of the file system. I'm hoping that you did not format your drive otherwise your files are long gone unless you pay big $$$. let us know what you have done and we shall get it straightened out. and btw

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

2 OS on the same partition can make this rather complicated. If you did this right you might be able to modifiy the boot.ini file to see both OS's. This is very chancey and I am going to say we need to know more information. There is a good chance you might be able to save the XP Pro install.

Z

actualy im just going to reformat. My friend just came over with his xp pro cd, and it isnt even reconising that pro is even their, and I ve looked through the rest of the files and alot of them are corrupted, and thier showing as 0kb so its just not worth it to try to fix all this. anyways how would i back up my programs. Like flash mx. All its files are not corupted, so it should work, but when i try to open it it comes up with a blank comand promt type box that dissapears after a second.

Download and reinstall your progams - you cannot back them up, you need the installation files so that you can reinstall.

Back