• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playing OGG/OGM video files???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

I jus downloaded some Anime files to my computer. The extention is .ogm and it says ogg media file. I never heard of ogg before but it seems to be an MP3-like file and I guess OGM is like an AVI. They're around 230MB each.

Anyway, I want to do 2 things. I need a player to play the .ogm file and I also think I may burn them onto an SVCD.

Now, I don't know the first thing about making an SVCD or a VCD for that matter. Can I use Nero 6.3? Each ep is about 20 minutes or so, I'm thinking I can fit 2 onto a single SVCD.

Are SVCDs compatible with newer DVD players? I have a Phillips DVD/VCR combo that I got a year ago.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, I tried Windows Media Player 10. I saw a page that says WMP should work. I got a green arrow icon in the task bar (like it said I would) but then WMP glitches out and I get an error reporting screen :(.

ogg is a file extension used by vorbis.

http://www.vorbis.com/

they have a player as well to play them. I thought they worked in wmp maybe not, i belive there is a codec for wmp that will play ogg files tho.
Quintessential player will play them.

As far as burning them and playin it or whatever i have no idea sry.

OGMs require a bit of software last I checked in order to get it to work with WMP and other media players. I don't remember what, but googling around may turn up something.

JigPu

For it to work in dvdplayers just rename the extensions to .avi
Ogm is a audiocodec.. Just d/l and install... it should run fine on most players except WinDVD so far for me.. :D

hehe, forgot about this thread. Actually, I found BSplayer and used it, it read them ok, for the most part, and yea, I was able to change subtitles and dubbing just like a DVD. The only problem I had was the video performance wasn't that great, I don't know what it's called, but the frames kept freezing on camera motion and I'd get odd motion. Kinda like when an image is burned on the screen, old frames would get 'left behind' kinda...I don't know how to describe it, but I know some dv guys have a name for it.

I'm not sure if it's the file, the player, or some codec in the midst.

yay, it's finally running perfect now.

Here's the deal, I've been a fan od the nimo codec pack for a long time, now. The OGM files were, at first choppy and I'd get still frames. Also, many f my AVIs and MPEG videos weren't working correctly. I uninstalled the Nimo Codec pack and the AVIs & MPEGs were fixed, but I got no OGM files at all. I did the lazy man's guide above and it all works great now. I'm using BS player, mostly.

Back