• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dvdshrink 3.2 Problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Hey guys, I just got my new system up and I keep coming upon the same problem as before. I don't know what is going on but at stock speeds and overclock speeds, Dvdshrink freezes up my system when its decoding. It is never in the same place. For example, it can be in the 25% done or in the 50% etc. I don't understand what it is because I remember copying some movies last week without problems, but now its doing it on every movie. There is no heat issue, my computer is fine and idle at 28C load 38C, and it has passed over 12 hours in prime95, over 12 hours in memtest, several passes of 3dmark, and several passes pcmark with no problem.

It seems to me that my DVD drive is dying, maybe that is what is getting too hot and is freezing my system. I am just guessing its that cause everything else never freezes whatsoever. I can play hours and hours of video games without it freezing or restarting. Let me know if you can think of anything that might be my problem. As I said before, my old system started doing that too, maybe there is a software conflict I don't know about, who knows?

dja2k

dvd shrink has never given me any problems. Do you have the latest version? Maybe the disc is scratch or something, that's usually the problem.

dja2k said:
copying some movies last week
hopefully you mean making backups :) 5 yrs in the slammer and/or $250k fine oh the pain!
As for your problem, you might try the lastest firmware for your drive. i believe dvdshrink 3.2 is the most current version.
good luck!

Don't know if you seen this or not DVD Shrink FAQ, I was having some issues at first also. Also, one thing that kept locking me up was having the preview running while backing up a DVD. Somewhere either in the FAQ or in their forum I read where the new preview window was causing some systems to randomly lock up and to jsut uncheck it. I personally havent had any issues with the locks up since unchecking the preview box.

Thanks for the replies and yes they are backups of movies I own :santa:

dja2k

Do you encounter this with a wide range of movies or just a select few. Some of the newer Universal films don't like shrink but it's easy to fix the situation with a minor adjustment.

yeah one of them is Resident Evil 2. But you can download a simple PSL file and import it into DVD Decrytor and you should be good to go.

It is only a couple of movies that do this. Not all movie backups crash my computer, but certain ones do for some reason and I try everything from cleaning it to underclocking my computer and it still does it. Maybe that patch thing is what I am going to have to do if it is that some movies require it.

dja2k

Some of the Newer movies seem have a new protection format to prevent backup (ie . Resident Evil 2 & Little Black Book) Some others are a pain anyway. I found that using DVDIdle even the trial version, will sometimes help with the backups, and as a bonus the primary use of this software will help save your DVD drive from a premature death from overuse. Sometimes playing or backing up a DVD movie will cause the drive to run continuously or erratically, which will cause it to wear out much sooner. The cost of the software is fairly inexpensive as well. :)

Back