• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can BH-5 go with 3.01V?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boostdfd3s

Disabled
hey every1,
On my NF7-S V2.0 with merlin's latest D27 taipan bios, i can only give my vdimm 3.01V. I currently run 2x512mb of Mushkin PC3200 BH-5 and i was wondering how far it can go on that modest voltage bump? I'm having problems with prime stability at 220fsb and above (fails in under 5 minutes in blend). Prime small fft is fine up to about 8 hours (XP-M 2600 without L12 mod at 1.6vcore)

Any ideas what my issue is?

gimme a break, im priming at priority 9, so i started hyper-clicking :)

Also, ive been keeping my proc around 2.3-2.4ghz at 1.6vcore

Drop your multi to something low (I use 8), and over volt your CPU a little when testing FSB. That way you can focus on the RAM, and know any instabilites are of a result of pushing it or the chipset too far. My estimate if that you will get 225 maybe 230 FSB with that much voltage. BH-5 doesn't really shine until you pump a little more voltage into it.

There is NO definitive answer. Thats like asking how far your car can go on 1/4 tank of gas, too many variables.

I am running 2.9 vdimm, with BH-5 at 230 fsb x 11.0 (2535 mhz). See sig. Stable for last 8 momths 24/7. Does that mean if you buy the same MB, the same Ram, and exact same cpu that you can do the same? Maybe, maybe not. You might do better, you might not get anywhere close.

No one can give you an answer thats worth the time it takes to type it. Every component, even identical ones, can and will act differently.

Can you damage anything by trying to run it too fast w/o enough volts? i.e. doing cpu burn-in at 233x10.5 or 225x10 with only 1.58vcore?

Im prime stable when i do small fft, so the cpu is good, guess my BH-5 didnt like the whole stress testing portion of it all becuase prime blend fails miserably.

It seems like my OC went downhill by stress testing w/o enough volts..opinions?

anythings possible, tho extremely unlikely. as for ur bh5 the only answer is to say that bh5 loves voltage the biggest jump in performance is from around 2.7-3.0. then usually its diminisheing returns after that. but as already said its impossible to say exactly

hmm... well im blend priming again and using only 500mb of ram at 220x10.5, 1.6vcore, and 3.01vdimm. Hopefully my prime instabilities came from prime eating away at my swap file and not from the ram needing more than 3.01volts to get past 220fsb :(

if running 2x512 in DC, use cpc off and tighten up your timings using nforce2 tweaker.

mine do, 2.9vdimm, ~230
~242, 3.2vdimm.

they can probly go higher, but not in this board.

pershoot said:
if running 2x512 in DC, use cpc off and tighten up your timings using nforce2 tweaker.

mine do, 2.9vdimm, ~230
~242, 3.2vdimm.

they can probly go higher, but not in this board.
I don't know why anyone would want to run BH-5 with the CPC off...Pershoot aren't you taking significant performance hit? To answer the original question, it really depends...at best 230fsb @2.9v at worst 200-210 @2.9v. Whatever you get @ 2.9vdimm you can probably gain a 5-10mhz increase @ 3.01

2T is the only way to stabilize 2x512 in DC for me. with 1T i barely scratch the surface. for me the performance is increased within my applicational suites.

hehe my NF7-S v2 is one of the special overvolting ones! BIOS 2.9=real world 3.01V :D I just did the L12 mod, so ill see if it helped at all.

Back