• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New.. could use some help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Irishnightwish

Hey,

This is my first post, obviously.. I know you all are very knowledgeable about computers, as you all take them apart and mess with them, and anyone who can overclock a computer and have it not explode/overheat has to know what they're doing.

With that, my problem is this. I bought my computer from a company (DIT) who sells individual parts, but you can have them build you a computer from parts. They did that for me, and now I have a computer that would be really fast and great, except in the middle of performing everyday operations it reboots. Frequently. In fact, it did so about 3 times just trying to get to this forum. As you can tell, it's really messed up. I don't know what could be causing this, heat, drivers.. The reason I suspect drivers is because it blue screens every time and several times I've seen something about drivers in the split second that screen is up, and something like "NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", and I've seen something about bad pages or some such..

Also, sometimes when it boots into windows my graphics driver will die and stop feeding to my monitor. About a third of the time when this happens, a program called VPU Recover will reset my graphics accelerator and I can use my computer again. Of course, it never fails to reboot sometime shortly after that.

What do you think? Is there anything else I can provide you with that would help? I'm using XP Home.

Thanks a bunch to anyone who can provide some advice.

- Josh

ive had a problem similar to this with my other rig. It was overheating and the heat protection on the mo-bo was trippin out and making the computer reboot. i installed a case fan and the problem was solved!

BUT...
it could be a virus that keeps shuttin it down that is wat was rong with a computer at my dads work.

I hope this helps...

P.S. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS and this post is in the wrong catorgery ! lol no problem though cause your new and the moderators will sort it for you.

-use memtest86 and test your memory for errors
-what power supply you are you using? frequent reboots can be from an inadequate/faulty power supply.
-have you installed the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard and video card drivers?

I would suspect that the company that built your computer either used too slow of memory, or has the memory timings set way too high. It could also be that they are using too small of a heatsink/fan combination for your cpu or they have the cpu overclocked too high. Sometimes a vendor will use a cpu that is slower than what they are selling it as and charging you the higher cpu price for it, and sometimes it comes back to bite them in the azz. It could also be that they used some crappy thermal paste, or a thermal pad and it is not doing its job efficiently enough. It could also be a power supply problem that is causing this problem. There are sooo many problems that it "could" be when you are getting the "IRQ not equal to or less than" message. Usually it is too high of an OC and a heat issue so I would start there. I would use the delete key upon booting up and check in the bios to see what they have your cpu clocked at and compare that to what you where supposed to be getting. You can also change the settings to failsafe settings in the bios and see if your problem persists after that. I would bet that will the failsafe settings you will have no more problems, but your computer will be slower than what it was sold to you as. I would definately take this up with the vendor that sold you the computer as well.

OH, Welcome to the Forums. Forgot to ad that to my post. I hope that you enjoy all the knowledge that is to be had from being part of these forums, I know that the people here have always been more than willing to help me.

Back