• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bandwidth vs. Timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatguy

I've had a pair of Corsair XMS 512'ers since they were first released, actually bought them much cheaper then what they sell for now. Funny how these things have actually gotten more expensive over time.

Anyway, I'm going through and piecing together some components for a late January or early February upgrade, and I'm looking at a possible memory upgrade.

My question: For a general gaming rig, which is better, bandwith or low memory timings? I'd like to put some DDR4000 memory in at the least, but all of the timings seem so much higher? Would it be better to get the speed and let the timings suffer, or just stick with what I have now?

Here's my current memory timings, not bad for 450 Mhz ;)

mem.gif

mem2.gif

Last edited:
get some pc3200 with the samsung tccd chips. all the major boutique companies offer it in their 2.2.2.5 series. most of it will run 250+ at 2.3.3.6. also crucial ballistix pc4000 alot of times will run very tighht timings 2.5.2.2.5 at 250.

I understand that the tighter timings give better benchmarks... but to his question regarding a gaming rig... are these 200+ sticks really going to give significant benefit in daily use? Everyone keeps recommending the TCCD reguardless of people's needs and wants and it seems like the end all be all for every application, but is it really worth it when it comes to FPS and game load times or is it a 0-2% benefit?

Back