• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pushing pc3200 too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[se7en]

hi guys,

this is my rig :
a64 3500+ (newcastle)
msi k8n neo2 platinum
2*512 kingston valueram (dual ddr, 3-3-3-8)

i currently run at 1:1 209 fsb (11*209=2299mhz) stable but if i try 210mhz fsb, the system freezes during boot.
(probably because of the fact that my ram has 200mhz bandwidth)
would it be too risky to try 2.75 or 2.8 volts for my memory in order to
see if i can get higher than 209?
do you think that running my memory at 209 or higher would be dangerous
in the long run?

i REALLY don't want to do sth risky cause i worked my A$$ off all summer
to get this system.

By all means, push the voltage as high as your motherboard allows, and keep raising the fsb until you reach the limit. RAM can take a lot more voltage than most people think. 9mhz is nothing for a RAM OC, you can do better than that. and yes, freezing at 210mhz means it's not stable.

i would try and bump the vdimm up a little 2.7-2.85 ish should be enough to run it at 210.
in the long run i wouln't worry about running it at those volts. i run my pc3200 at 11-2-2-2 at 249 at 3.2vdimm cpc on
if you want, you could run dividers too. it doesn't kill your performance like it does on the xp line.
good luck!

Bump up the vdimm and make sure you test for memory stability using memtest86. Just because it boots up and loads the OS, doesn't mean it's stable.

Back