• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area Help!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

My parents are using an older 866 MHz PIII Gateway with mininal software loaded. The machine originally came with W95 and was eventually upgraded to W98SE. About a month ago I upgraded W98SE to Win XP and put in 256MB memory. The machine seemed to work fine until last week. It now crashes on the first boot try with a bsod indicating "Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area". Strangely, it consistently successfully restarts from this error but the next boot attempt starts the cycle all over again. In other words, every other boot attempt consistently brings the bsod and page_fault..... error.

I reloaded XP and changed to the NTFS file system. Even with a fresh installation this problem persists unchanged leading me to suspect a hardware problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as short of just starting to substitue different hardware (graphics card, modem, etc.) I am out of ideas.

Back