• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What tool/how can I turn my desktop like this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

My current desktop:
untitled7jn.jpg

I would like to turn my desktop to something similar to this:

screen.jpg

What tool should I use? Any suggestions?

well, firstly, clean up your desktop.
then, unlock the taskbar and drag it to the top fo the screen, then re-lock it.
then download either a skinning program like StyleXP, WindowBlinds...or get a new 'shell' which will replace explorer.exe (default windows environment). then download a 'theme' for either the program or the shell.
ive also heard of just hacking the windows 'styles' thing, not sure how that works.

They just have a custom theme and they moved the taskbar to the top. It looks like they also have a docking station at the bottom. Download a hacked uxtheme.dll and you will be able to use custom themes. Then do a google search for Y'z Dock and run that to have the dock at the bottom. The docking station just lets you put shortcuts on it and acts like the quick launch thing.

Hmm thanks I'm getting there...right now I need to know how to make the "shaded" visual style works...I used styleXP and it doesn't work with that VS, it says theme file isn't found or something...also I just noticed I need Y's dock skin or it woudln't work. Updated desktop

untitled4st.jpg

looking good :)
i have that theme somewheres, good stuff.
btw- styleXP has to be 'registered' after 30days or so (it's a trial), if you didnt figure it out already, there are certian 'programs' that creat a reg. code for you...i will say nothing more about that

I know what are you talking about..my StyleXP is registered..it is not trial..but it says the zip folder does not contain .theme or .msstyle file when I'm trying to apply the "shaded" theme..

EDIT: nvm I got it to work.

Last edited:
Aphex_Tom_9 said:
btw- styleXP has to be 'registered' after 30days or so (it's a trial), if you didnt figure it out already, there are certian 'programs' that creat a reg. code for you...i will say nothing more about that

Thats why I like the hacked uxtheme.dll file instead of stylexp. All stylexp does is install a hacked uxtheme.dll and give you a different interface for changing the themes.

Dermen said:
Thats why I like the hacked uxtheme.dll file instead of stylexp. All stylexp does is install a hacked uxtheme.dll and give you a different interface for changing the themes.
yeah, ive heard about that, sounds like a good alternative if you dont feel like tricking styleXP.

Back