• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DexusXL

Registered
Couldnt post anywhere else oddly enough, but help is much needed and appreciated.

I got a problem with my PC, when i turned it on the 1st time. It worked fine. The second time i put Windows XP cd to install, it wouldnt pick up f8 so i rebooted through XP but it wont come back on now. It might flicker once then just shut back off, any suggestions? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Do what I suggested and post back your results.

We'll get ya going bro! :D

Thanks man, I really owe it to this Forums Generous Pop. ^.^ . I cant wait for this rig to get running >.> , Im going to try your idea in a sec. Ill edit this post once i get results.

edit:: Ok, just tryed it out Krag and i got nothing. And something else just occured. My LED light on my case (green light) blinks twice then gives out, now when i turned the power off i get that flicker instead of hitting it on.

Last edited:
DexusXL said:
Thanks man, I really owe it to this Forums Generous Pop. ^.^ . I cant wait for this rig to get running >.> , Im going to try your idea in a sec. Ill edit this post once i get results.

Give us a list of your components and what yuo have tried so far. There are others here watching that may have good ideas/experience as well.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 x1
MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard x1
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive x2
pqi TURBO Series Dual Channel Platinum Kit 184-Pin 2GB x1
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER x1

Those are my main compents.

What ive tried:

securing the PCI slotted items
Rearranging the PCI slotted items
letting the rig rest for a hour
doubly checking the cords and making sure there in the right spot. (to the best of my ability)

"Exactly" what does it do when you hit the on button?

1. Did you clear the cmos?
2. Did you you try to boot it with 1 stick of ram?
3. Can you make it to the boot screen?
4. What kind of power supply do you have?
5. How many moduals are on your ram?

I know you told me that you were using 2x1gig sticks of ram. That might be a problem with this board. The MSI Neo2 K8N Plat. is "PICKY" about ram.

Do you have any other ram avialable to use/try?

If you get a black screen...wait for a little. My board has the slowest post I have ever seen, sometimes it takes about 30-45 sec. before it boots. It kinda freaked me out until I let it alone to post.

I just downloaded the manual and will look up the memory slot issues for you.

krag said:
"Exactly" what does it do when you hit the on button?

1. Did you clear the cmos?
2. Did you you try to boot it with 1 stick of ram?
3. Can you make it to the boot screen?
4. What kind of power supply do you have?
5. How many moduals are on your ram?

I know you told me that you were using 2x1gig sticks of ram. That might be a problem with this board. The MSI Neo2 K8N Plat. is "PICKY" about ram.

Do you have any other ram avialable to use/try?

1. Im not sure, I switched the jumper.
2. I tryed to boot with 1 stick
3. my PC isnt on long enough to even send a output to the LCD screen. No boot Screen.
4. Generic 500w
5. Exactally what do you mean by modules. Here is a Link to it

Hope its not the ram >.>

edit: I dont even make it to 'POST' anymore. Just doesnt stay on long enough to communicate to anything. It went through before tho. When it did work that is.

1. Im not sure, I switched the jumper. 4. Generic 500w

Lets start with these 2 for right now.

Take out the 500w boat anchor and put in another PSU...hopefully you have an extra?

When you clear the cmos you move the jumper over one pin and then place it back the way it was before you moved it. By connecting the "other" pin, you complete a small circuit (for a brife second) which sets the bios back to default settings.

Make sure you put the jumper back the way it was before you turn on the PC.

I dont have another PSU other then this PC's PSU. This isnt my PC so i need to get another PSU. :-/ Looks like ill have to wait awhile for the new PSU >.>!!!

edit: Any recommendations for a PSU? I need about 500w cause of my Video Card... sigh.

Did ya plug this little dillybob in?

Attachments

• 4 pin 12v.JPG
    4 pin 12v.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 60
I would recomend this....Fortron 500w PSU.

I think its the PSU....I dont' think we can go much further without one that we know works.

Last ditch effort....

Take the PSU out and bounce it off the ground once, not hard but kinda like you're bouncing a ball. It worked for me once with a generic PSU. Heh! :p

=O Ill try that! Once i get my new one.. heh. If it works, ill just send the new one back :D

Ill order it tommarow. Time for some sleep,still need to work tommarow and get my mom a Xmas Present :cry:

krag said:
Last ditch effort....

Take the PSU out and bounce it off the ground once, not hard but kinda like you're bouncing a ball. It worked for me once with a generic PSU. Heh! :p

Krag, that's the best one I've EVER heard!

Dexus, if that doesn't work, bounce it REAL HARD, in the garbage can. :D

steve

skou said:
Krag, that's the best one I've EVER heard!

Dexus, if that doesn't work, bounce it REAL HARD, in the garbage can. :D

steve

Heh! BAAAA-doing!

No kiddin' it actually resurected a crappy generic psu.

1. Im not sure, I switched the jumper.
AH!...if you turn on the machine w/ the jumper in the "clear CMOS" position you will screw things up. I dont even keep my computer pluged in when i clear the CMOS (cause the manuel says so!)

Back