• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strange dual channel performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mta0312

Registered
I recently bought the 1gb dual channel patriot tccd kit. Before my system was rock solid stable at 220 fsb but now with the new memory I am getting frequent crashes in games and prime 95 errors. I believe this has something to do with running in dual channel. When I ran the memory in single channel mode all problems dissappeared. Unfortuantely, memtest shows that my memory speed dropped from ~1600 MBs to ~1300 MBs in the process. My SuperPI 1M slowed down by two seconds. I am also getting strange results with my latencys now that I am in single channel mode. Memtest shows that memory speeds are actually lower in 2-3-3-11 mode than 3-3-3-11.

Does anybody else have this kind of difficulty?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-033&depa=1

Last edited:
i dont know as much about nf7 chipsets as intel but from what ive read they are real picky, try testing each stick seperately to see if 1 is better than the other, also maybe one of the guys here can give u the best options for this mb. lastly also try testing out cpu by running single channel(if ram tests ok) and using a ratio(3/2) something that doesnt stress the memory.. oh yeh, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS !!!!

Try, as flapper said, each stick individually, as well as switching the ram around in the 2-slot channel, trying each slot to see if one might be the cause of your problem (since it relates to running DC).

I see that you're already using one of the modded BIOS for the NF7. You might also look through Sentential's thread with all of the BIOS and see if anyone has reported good results with the PDP ram, although I think the one you are using is supposed to work well with TCCD. There are just so many of them and each with their little tweak.

Good luck and as one of the other guys posted elsewhere...leave your computer and enjoy Christmas, after all, it only comes once a year.

I put the ram into the single channel slots and primed it for close to a day at 227 3-3-3-11. No errors were found. I went even higher on the fsb and the ram seemed to work fine in memtest but the cpu wouldnt take it. Errors only seem to occur in dual channel mode. I was using another bios before this one (merlin d25) and was getting the same results. I also cant figure out why the ram performs better at cas 3/2.5 than cas 2.

Eventually I'm going to try a cpc off bios and see how it performs or maby try it out in another system, but for now I'll take what I've got.

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas!

Back