• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"A Question of Perception"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

method().man

On the whole, I would probably argue that in the Intel vs. AMD argument, this site does a fairly good job of offering a balanced viewpoint between the two chip giants. Because this site tends to gravitate towards a more 'price vs. power' viewpoint, in contemporary terms, it has tended to side more with AMD. However, this appears to be more of a result of AMDs more agressive pricing (as a result of its underdog position in the field) rather than any favoritism shown by the editors of Overclockers.com.

I think a more salient debate, however, is if this site offers a balanced view on the power that is actually needed by the average user. In this case, I would argue that Overclockers.com, much like other hardware enthusiasts' sites, tends to side more with ther power-users state of mind in that more power is better despite the actual usage (or need) of said power. Granted, considering this is a 'power-users' site, the desire for the most possible computing power out of today's hardware is the overwhelming concern. Given this fact though, it often seems that we lost sight of what we're actually using all this expensive hardware for.

I don't see a conflict.
I see it, sports car enthusiasts don't really need a 500 horsepower machine but they like to think about and drive powerful vehicles. The average automobile owner just needs a car to get him from point A to point B.
Likewise, the "average computer user" needs very little real computing power. Just enough to do spreadsheets, play video poker and connect to the internet to get email.
Yes, this forum does represent "power users". I view my computer as a hobby and I play PC games that require insane computational power. I also like to compare notes, ask questions and generally interact with others that have a like mindset. I have not lost sight of what my computer is for, It is there to make me happy and use my brain in a challenging pastime.
Computers at workplaces are there to be used as a tool to complete a job better and or faster, they do not need to be the most powerful machines, and in general, they are not.

I agree that the main page is very neutral. It will be interesting to see the results of the poll when they post them.

I've always seen this site as neutral, with a generous touch of " down on everything ". The impression I've always gotten is that of a hardware-enthusiast site that is run by someone who has generally lost their enthusiasm. That's not a criticism, just a personal opinion. I guess that's what sets this site apart for me, and makes it more interesting. I check it every day, and the depth of information you get along with the grumbling makes it a favorite.

I dont think this site is entirely nuetral.I tend to think that its somewhat biased in favor of AMD.Thats not a bad thing considering that AMD has really been offering better components in recent years,and done a much better job marketing,as well as staying in touch with what their audience wants.The website is biased towards whichever company is leading by example and offering the best products.It just so happens that that would be AMD right now.I like those that are biased,however.The conflict in opinions often bring out both the positive AND negative of each argument or product.Its through these opinions that you become not just more informed,but "most-informed." As a testament to how good this site is, inthe last 2 years,all but a handful of my computer-related purchases came from advice and opinions that I read here.Its a real compliment when someone as poor as I am is willing to put their money where their mouth is and make purchasing decisions based on whatever resource they have at their disposal---and this is mine.Not only do i find that this is the most user-friendly technology-related website around,I often get quick and complete responses to my questions.This is the best technology-related library I have ever seen.

Back