• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I install SP2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX6X

I haven't been keeping up with this much, but I heard that SP2 is bad. Windows keeps asking me to install and I have been declining so far. Is SP2 really that bad and should I or should I not install SP2?

depends who you ask, most of us have been running it with no problems whatsoever. I have used it on 5 rigs so far, and have had no problems at all.

i suggest installing SP2, it has better features for networking, new improved firewall, iv never had any problems with it on all of our 8 computers in our house

had no issues and i installed it about 2 weeks after it came out - i have heard of no major issues lately with it - i think your safe.

There is no reason not to install SP2. The only problems I ahve seen have been a result of spyware and/or viruses and those users instantly assume it is SP2's fault. You should not have any problems at all if your system is clear of viruses and spyware.

i've had no problems whatsoever with it. just make sure to turn off ALL anti-virus and registry checking sorts of things. those WILL interfere with the install. (its not pretty when it happens...)

iv had Anti virus and such, never had any problems...but to be on the safe side, yea disable them

well, i'd hate to be the only one to post that has had problems with it, but i have.

Ive installed it on two seperate and completely different rigs and both stopped booting into windows after i installed it..

But that was WAY back when it first came out, so it might be okay now...

I had heard that 15% of computer that had it installed stop booting or something. I never really followed up on it much because I didn't care to. But it seems like that's not really the case so I think I'll go ahead and install it. Thanks a lot

the vast majoririty of computers that failed to boot with it installed are computers that already had problems, your windows install must be working correctly for it to work.

Most people have problems with sp2 when installing it on a current windows install and most probably has sp1 installed also, i'd recommend you format and install sp2, rather than installing sp2 over your old Windows.

[BBE]Jimbob said:
Most people have problems with sp2 when installing it on a current windows install and most probably has sp1 installed also, i'd recommend you format and install sp2, rather than installing sp2 over your old Windows.

I think the majority of issues people actually have are a result of spyware and/or viruses so that is why slipstreaming SP2 and reformatting would not cause problems.

I've installed it on atleast 50 computers now and have only a few minor issues and those were upgrades on old machines. I've had zero issues with slipstreamed versions.

When you upgrade a box that has been running sp1 for awhile follow these steps.
1. Defrag
2. install sp
3. Defrag
4. Disable security center. You can still run windows firewall with security center disabled.
5. reboot
6. defrag
7. if things are still slow, build a new user profile.

Even though windows thinks you don't need to defrag after the install, you really do. The first defrag after the sp2 update will probably take quite a bit of time.

Back