• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel Sperate or Tested Pair?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

I am interested in incresing my total system memory to 1gb as I already have 2x256 pc3200 modules in dual channel mode. Would I be safe in buying two seperate 256mb sticks or do I have to buy a pair together?

sure, u wont get as good a overclock cause the memory controller works harder but if u dont care about 10 mhz or so fsb hit, its a much more inexpensive way to go..,

flapperhead said:
sure, u wont get as good a overclock cause the memory controller works harder but if u dont care about 10 mhz or so fsb hit, its a much more inexpensive way to go..,

But even if they are tested together what makes 2 tested modules so different from 2 of the exact same kind bought seperate?

I think they usually have the tested pairs coming rite after one another in the production line, so they are as similar to each other as possible. Personally, I have 2 sticks of 256 DDR400 made by completely different companies in dual channel. Works fine for me, although it probably does slow me down a bit compared to tested pairs, its still faster than single channel.

I have two corsair pc3200XLPT sticks that work flawlessly in dual channel. i baught them two months appart and they are different revisions. I am however not overclocked atm due to a crappy cpu and lack of 4 holes mounting hardware for my 947. gonna get a mobile in a week and run this ram up a bit.

id save the money and just get a 512 stick for sure

Back