• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP2 Boot Logo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willkill1337

I have heard that there is a reg hack or something to change the boot logo screen where it says windows xp from how it is in SP2 to how it previously was in SP1a/ Vanilla XP. Is this possible as the new boot screen is really annoying me and I want the scrolling blue bar back and to see "Professional" on the screen again?????????? Thanks and merry christmas, William.

PS: W00000000000000t, getting hl2 collectors edition, hmmm it's 0055 now, another 9 hours or so :p :santa:

it can't be a reg hack. The boot screen is controlled by ntoskernel.exe, you could reshack it and then use the altered one instead.

If you would like to change your boot up screen follow the directions below. These instructions assume that you have a place to download the boot screen from the net. If you would like to download a boot screen, visit http://www.themexp.org

1. Backup (copy) the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (most likely C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe - the boot screen)
2. Download the .zip to your computer (important: make sure to get the right version, XP or XP SP1)
3. Extract ntoskrnl.exe to a directory other than %windir%\system32 (most likely C:\windows\system32)
4. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (hit F8 before the boot screen) or into true DOS (from a boot disk)
5. Overwrite the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (which should have been backed up) with the extracted exe
6. Reboot your computer as you normally would

No, it takes well umm under a minute to boot, just want it too look more 1337. Thanks d00ds for teh replies. W00000T, got hl2 collectors edition, nice shiny metal tin, shame it'll play like **** on my pc and that "Decrypting Half Life 2 Game Files" thing takes *^%£ing ages!!!!! Damn!!! :attn: :santa:

Umm when I can be arsed then I will do it!! Time to play teh hl2. woot and merry christmas :santa: , it's 1214 on christmas day here!

I noticed it stright away I've read in a mag "How To Install SP2" that after installation you notice the Professional name tag has gone along with the copyright date 1893 - 2002 I think it is. Now they don't even know why Microsoft got rid of it they did suggest maybe to boost loading times frankly before I installed SP2. It was loading like wildfire didn't see that loading screen now SP2 takes about a min but they state for whatever reason only Microsoft know.

I got rid of the boot screen so long ago I can even remember what were the registry changes.

Back