• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP program uninstaller? Does such a thing exist?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I was just installed something that I shouldn't have, and it doesn't add any uninstall information, so I can't get rid of it all. I don't know what values if any it added to the registry, what shortcuts it put where, and what files if any it added to system folders. I have done this a couple of times and it just sucks because I never know if I completly got rid of everything. I decided that there has to be some sort of uninstalling program out there, but I don't know how many there are, or which ones are and are not good. So now to the official question. Can anyone recommend a good uninstaller? Thanks!

for uninstalling programs in general, there is a utility in windows called 'add/remove programs'

just go into the control panel (from your start menu) and open up add/remove programs. when the list loads, scroll down until you see the name of the program you want to remove.

Most third party uninstallers need to be setup and running before you perform the install in order to track and later reverse the changes you made when installing.

If you can eliminate the files and unregister the *.dll's, then registry entries it created might be orphaned and may be able to be removed automatically with a registry checker like jv16 powertools or regsupreme.

To find files, you can use the windows search tool and specify times and dates for when files were created - match to the time you performed the install.

Or you can use system restore to go back to before you installed the program perhaps.

Ok, thanks, I'll just try to do that, hopefully I should be able to find everything the program put on my computer. I'll have to look for one of those uninstaller programs though so anything I do from now on can be removed without a trace. Thanks!

Back