• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for cheap DDR2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I bought some inexpensive DDR2 RAM to use as extra backup. On a whim I bought 2X512 Samsung DDR2-3200 for less than $100 a stick and slapped them into my Abit AA8XE mobo running in dual channel mode. These are single sided modules and use BGA chips, so I guessed they would O/C pretty good and I was right.

Rated specs are DDR2-400 and 3-3-3-8 at 1.8v, but I have them running at DDR2-533 and 4-4-4-8 at 1.9v. Kids, that's PC2-4200 speed for the price of PC2-3200 RAM. Pretty good stuff, I'm impressed.

I even hit 275 FSB using 4-4-4-8 timings and 1.9v in dual channel (but, I didn't stress test them at that speed). Maybe more voltage and/or relaxing the timing again might squeeze more out of them. For the price you will not find better DDR2 RAM, especially using high quality Samsung chips.

Back