• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows in Read-only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rkk

Registered
What do I have to do that Windows Me (or 98) could start from read-only storage (such as CDs)?

If you are talking about something like knoppix, where the OS operates from a "LiveCD", this is not possible with Windows... Is that what you are asking?

And please, whatever you do, spare yourself from WinMe. ;)

Google it is possible quite well. google for PEBuilder (but not with Windows 9x, that's right). For Windows 9x you need to put certain things (like the registry) into a ramdisk. So it would be possible but afaik no one has done this yet.

klingens said:
Google it is possible quite well. google for PEBuilder (but not with Windows 9x, that's right). For Windows 9x you need to put certain things (like the registry) into a ramdisk. So it would be possible but afaik no one has done this yet.

I would like to do that thing that nobody has done yet. As for PEBuilder, I know this, but WinXP woun't work for me. I need it to be Win Me or 98, even 95 won't work for me :bang head

I know PEBuilder, it won't work for me, I found this but this is a bit too complicated and tricky.

I.M.O.G. said:
If you are talking about something like knoppix, where the OS operates from a "LiveCD", this is not possible with Windows... Is that what you are asking?

And please, whatever you do, spare yourself from WinMe. ;)

i agree. it basicly sux. but when youre in trouble it can get you out easilly. my comp crashed and my WINXP wouldent install. so just installed Win me then XP and it worked.

Back