• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought you needed two same size sticks for dual channel, no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if the memory controller is a multiplexing scheme i can see how 3 would work cause there are basically 2 channels and 4 slots on most mb's that use dc, (2 slots per channel). for instance slots 1&3= ch1 2&4=ch2. inserting an extra stick in 1 of the channel ie: sl.1-3-4 should theoretically work although u probably woudnt be able to overclock it as fast and it may not work as efficiently as 1 pair or 2 of modules..

The NForce 2 behaves differently than intel. You can have 3 different size sticks and have Dual channel. It's been rumoured however it's not full dual channel, 2 of the sticks will be in 128bit mode while a third stick will be in 96bit mode. It's gonna be hard to prove because of the nature of the NF2. Single and Dual channel are measurable from 1-8% which is in the margin of error having this non linear dual channel is just as hard to check.

Many nForce2s have 3 slots.

I thought they said you can't have all three filled with same size sticks and still have dual channel.

Then they said, for example
512 in first and
256 in second and third

gets you dual channel

Now it's "as long as you have more than one stick," is it?

Back