• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it Dual Channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Str0be

Registered
if i have one in dimm3 and one in dimm2, would that still be considered Dual Channel? dimm1 and dimm2 are the close-together-ones and dimm3 = the single stick that i was using

Also, it souds to me like your not running a dual channel kit, as you stated that you were using one in your system before.

IF you are not using a dual channel kit, you will most propably NOT be able to run in dual channel mode.

what if the dimm1 clip is broke? :p and whats the difference between a kit and 2 of the same sticks of ram?

Str0be said:
what if the dimm1 clip is broke? :p and whats the difference between a kit and 2 of the same sticks of ram?

Dual channel kits are tested to work in dual channel. Its basically a guarantee that the two modules are the same. I'd get a kit.

I'm thinking you are in Dual channel, as for my A7N8X(also an Nforce2 board), the manual states you have dual channel in 1&3, 2&3.

From how I understand it, each grouping of Sockets represents one channel, so since you have one stick in the channel thats separated from the other 2, that would suggest a different channel.

Also, Kits are not needed to get dual channel, I've put together at least 20 A7N8X-VMs at work all just using 2 sticks of Crucial memory, and they are all running dual channel successfully. For the most part you just want to make sure they are the same capacity and speed or set it to run at the slower of the 2.

Yes, the sticks don't have to be a matched DC-set. This only means that they are tested and possibly hand-picked by the manufacturer, as it's of course best if both sticks are of equal quality (the slowest one would hold back the other). However they must be of equal size if using two sticks on an nForce2-board. You'll see if dual channel is enabled during POSTing, if not use a program like CPU-Z.

this is CPU-z
bgpic6xp.jpg

I notice that is says FSB:DRAM 5:6(Unless I'm reading it wrong?)

You'll want to run your memory and FSB in sync, as the Nforce2 mobos take a performance hit(and I've heard stability) when they are out of sync.

You know the BIOS-menu where you adjust voltages and frequencies? One of the options is called something like "FSB/Memory Ratio", and it offers many different dividers. Change it to 1:1 (or 2:2 or 3:3). Then the FSB/mem will run in sync, which is the only sensible option for socket A platforms - both in terms of stability and performance. Even if you're able to squeeze some extra MHz out of your memory, the computer would run slower.

didnt see it at all. wtf? there isnt anything that says FSB and Memory even on the same line. i dont even see any ratios in the bios at all. help? :\

You'll just have to go through every sub-menu in the BIOS until you find an option that's set to "5/6". Your mobo lacks many of the OC features of the wonderful NF7, but I can't believe that it doesn't have adjustable FSB/MEM-ratio.

Back