• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows boots but no icons...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daewood

hello all my brothers computer will boot into windows but with nothing on the desktop except the wallpaper and i cant left click or anything on the desktop i can only access stuff by going into ctrl+alt+del and starting a new task and no matter how long i let it sit nothing every shows up or loads...

first of all what version of windows? If it is XP, normally you can right click and go to arrange Icons by, and then make sure show icons is clicked.

does the start menu load? if not, it sounds like explorer.exe isn't starting up as your shell. Go to File -> New Task, type in explorer. You might want to do a spyware/virus scan to see if you are infected or not.

i did a repair install and now it works and the explorer.exe was not working but now it will connect to my network but not to the internet... but thanks anyways

My friends computer does the same exact thing. It will load windows, and the start menu, but he cannot click on anything. What he does is hits ctrl alt del and clicks on file-- new task-- type in explorer.exe then everything works as normal.

Back