• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Urgent Help: Wont Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apu318

Disabled
Welland: Most drug use per capita in Canada.
I tried to merge a partition back into the original configureation of my 40 gig.. I had two partitions. At 99% partition magic failed.. and when I restarted, I could not boot into windows.. So I tossed windows XP Pro 64 bit onto an old hard-drive and boot it up.. to find that windows does a chkdsk on the 40 gig and deleted all these entries and BAM! All my files gone.. I was able to recover almost all of my files. Theyre all in good directory structure just like before the problems. Now, I have fixed up the partition problems on my 40 gig and like to get windows back up and running. Normally, I'd re-install windows xp pro (not 64 bit).. then boot into the 64 bit pro, copy all my my recovered stuff over the fresh install and I'd have my windows booting up the way it was before. Now heres the problem. I only have my 64 bit XP.. not my normal Pro. Would I be able to use the MBR from the 64 bit version and then overwrite that installation with my normal windows? Or is the MBR different in the 64 bit edition? Need some Ideas here. Thanks.

Back