• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G-Skill compatability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
whats g-skill? IS THIS SOME SORT OF GANGSTER TECHIE TERM! lol but seriously what is it...

jcw122 said:
whats g-skill? IS THIS SOME SORT OF GANGSTER TECHIE TERM! lol but seriously what is it...

G. Skill is hand-picked Samsung TCCD ram that is rated to run at PC 4400/DDR 550/275 Mhz at either 2.5-3-3-7 or 2.5-4-4-8. Often times, it will exceed those limits, but the firm always guaruntees their ram to this point. Furthermore, you do pay for the guaruntee, but for some it is well worth it.

deception``

jcw122 said:
why WOULDNT it work with a board is what i wanna also know...

It's not so much that it would not work; rather, some modules seem to work better with particular boards and setups. Let's take bh-5 for example. It will work in almost any motherboard, but you won't get high clocks out of it unless you supply it with some necessary voltage (3.0+) which not every motherboard can do. Another great example is PC4000+ memory in an Nforce 2 system. Obviously such ram would work fine, but it did not possess the low timings necessary for K7 glory. Hence, such memory was preferred in Intel systems. Of course, this is no longer the case with the Athlon 64, but these serve as examples of how often times the memory you choose can be an important decision.

deception``

Kris said:
Deception, Chaintech's new n-force 4 board.

In that case, it should work excellently. Personally, I am not a fan of Chaintech motherboards, but just know that the G. Skill should work without a hitch. As a matter of fact, any limited overclocking you experience most likely will NOT be due to the memory; rather, it will be the motherboard itself. Nonetheless, you should feel comfortable about any G. Skill purchase, and should RMA the memory if it does not operate at it's guarunteed settings.

deception``

alright thanks for that info u gave me deception...i didnt know that so it was helpful. but im confused...which does A64 like? tight latenceys or higher speeds? or both (OCZ VX would server that well hehe)

jcw122 said:
alright thanks for that info u gave me deception...i didnt know that so it was helpful. but im confused...which does A64 like? tight latenceys or higher speeds? or both (OCZ VX would server that well hehe)

Low timings are almost always preferred. However, the Athlon 64 is not so sensitive to timings such as the Athlon XP. This is due to the on-die memory controller. So it is also for that reason why high HTT clocks at 2.5-3-3-7 are very attractive.

deception``

i have my gskill 1gb 4400 2.4-3-3-7 running in my xp system for now *until 2nd gen 90nm cores come out* and its hauling at 220 2-2-2-5, i love it and makes my system feel super fast for an xp processor. hl2 is played the way it was meant to be as far as im concerned. I wish i had a mobile processor originally insead of a 3200+ so i could hit like 2.6 on air because my temps aren't the problem, its either the a7n8x- or the desktop barton, definately not ye ol' g.skill

Back