• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need 512mb ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For any given setup most people recomend at least 512mb.

I recomend nothing less than a gig, unless all you do is check you're email and surf the web with 1 browser open.

It is best to have a little headroom for what you are doing for optimal performance regardless if you are only using 160MB. The only reason you are probably using 160MB is because of the way Windows manages memory. By upgrading to 512MB you should notice a performance increase depending on what you are doing. I recommend 512MB as a minimum. If your a gamer 1GB is nice. Anything over 1GB is kind of unnecessary right now unless you really need it which the majority of people do not.

Depending on the rest of the system specs, and what you use the system for, I would recommend 256MB RAM minimum, 512MB for multitasking/gaming etc and 1GB if possible.

I noticed a huge difference between 128 and 384, a small difference between 384 and 512 and a little difference between 512 and 1GB.

for non-demanding games 512mb is enough.for farcry and hl2 1gb is recommended.in doom3 at the highest settings 2gb can make a difference and anything less than 512mb is simply not an option for gaming.

Yeah, 512mb is good to have. I got another 256meg stick of ram for Christmas to give me 512 megs total, and it made a huge difference in gaming. Really, though, if you don't do gaming or run 50 zillion applications at a time then 256 megs is fine.

Back