• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please PLEASE Help!! (long post warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bimmerjim®

Registered
im hoping you guys/girls can help, sorry if this is in the wrong spot i didnt know where to put it. i posted my story on another computer forum a couple of days ago and no one was able to help. hopefuly i can get some good advice here. :)

okay, im going to cut and past what i wrote on that other forum..

the vitals first:
LGA 775 Pent 4 HT 2.8 prescott,
Infineron 512 MB DDR2 pc 3200
Abit AA8 duramax MOBO
albatheron (sp?) Nvidia PCX 5750 256mb pci-express 16
Western digital 80gb IDE
TDK CDRW .. IDE

well, long story short. i just built this computer about a month ago. about two weeks ago explorer died. i had to reinstall windows. since then things have been fine. untill now.. i have a winxp cd from my old gateway, probibly first edition because i have to download about 4 or 5 differnt xp updates.. anywyas. i got my fiance a ipod mini for christmas. i installed the software, (i had i tunes before) and pluged in the ipod. it worked fine for about 30 min. i was sorthing thru the songs for her to load to her i pod and i noticed the audio was clipping.. sortof.... in slow motion, but with a stutter.. hard to explain. and the mouse seemed to be rough, and didnt move smothly. if i click on something where id normaly get the noise of "TIK" the noise i get is actualy a "T T T T T T T I I I I I I I I I K K K K K K K K k k k k k k...."

the music started to do the same kindof studder noise. and all of the programs were noticibly slower. i thouht it was something to do with new hardware and not restarting, so, i restarted the pc. now normaly, my computer will start up very fast. on the windows startup screen the loading bar scrolls four to five times, then 'boom', windows is open. about another 5 sec and i can open programs without any delay. but not this time. the first time i restarted it the computer halted on the second boot screen where it reads and loads the cdrom and HD drivers. so, i restarted again. this time it went through. i have a habbit to count the scrolls in the windows startup. 36 scrolls. then, it took another min and a half before i could open a program.

so, i virus checked, ran ad aware, uninstalled any suspect programs, ran checkdisk (witch took 3 hours!!) (and my HD has 25GB used of 80) uninstalled itunes, the mini ipod software and quicktime. no sucess. still ran realy realy slow. did defrag defrag, defrag. i checked online for things that make startup hang, and did those. no help.. checked several online free virus checking places, ran my avg antivirus, adaware, and zone alarm and it didnt find anything. no viruses.. reinstalled drivers for the audio, and video. checked for any wondows updates.. but, no sucess.

(that was 4 days ago)

(two days ago)

i tryed turning off ALL of the programs that startup with windows thinking i could turn one or two back on at a time till i found the one that was making startup hang, but after turning the all off, it made no difference in boot time. so... i got impaitent.. i formated and reinstalled windows. now the computer fires up on 5 scrolls again and its ready to use in about 5 seconds after that. i installed all of the drivers and restarted every time to make shure it wasnt one of those. then, i decided to reinstall my games. so, i was installing half life two (witch was never reinstalled after explorer died two weeks ago) i noticed the system hang while trying to reinstall the third cd of half life 2. (legit copy) it then said that it was corrupt and coundnt be installed. so, i restarted. and the same long load time is back. same audio problems. same unmoth mouse. same long load time to open programs.

in thinking it cant be a virus. it has to be software related. some kind of conflict... i asume this because i reformated the hardrive before reinstalling windows. i havent transfered any of the old files that i saved before reinstalling windows. i have all of those files saved on my other computer that on a network, its been turned off this whole time. and that ogher computer (celeron 1.2 mhz gateway system) is problem free

i tryed repairing windows but it says my copy of windows is older than the current version... *thumbs down*

(today)
reinstalled windows xp agin today. i installed all of the drivers, a few programs and everything was working great. tryed installing half life 2 again, cd 3 took forever. restared after install was complete and got the same slow computer problem as before. tryed uninstalling half life 2, still slow. removed everything from half life from the registry, still slow.

formated again, and reinstalled windows again. everything was quick. then i only installed the ethernet driver. restart -> still fast. no video driver, no audio, no usb driver, no chipset driver..... nothing. not even windows updates. then i tryed installing half life 2. cd 3 took exsessively long to install, again. after completed i restarted, slow computer again.

my lga 775 pentium 2.8 slower than my celeron 1.2. actualy about half as fast. yet nothing shows to be running in windows task manager, but the cpu seems to be loaded to about 40 percent usage for no aparent reason and theres nothing running. and whats worse is this heavy load apears to be at random. right now its loaded about 40 to 50 percent, yet the only program running is this one internet explorer window.

i tryed rolling back the drivers. stil slow..

what i dont get is that i had half life 2 on this computer once before, but uninstalled it after i beat it. then shortly after explorer died and i reinstalled windows. so i know the game is good (and yes, its legit) i had itunes on the computer before but didnt have a problem till i installed the ipod software. but now, for some reason its doing this crap.

i cant think of any one program that i tunes has in common with half life two, and what could either one install that conflicts with whatever software.

the only thing i can think that half life installes is "stream" with is direct X.. but i dont think ipod uses any direct X.

anyways, im desperate. i built the computer to play games.. but i cant. iv got two good friends that are more of computer geeks than i am, and work on computers for a living. neither one of them can figure it out.

ANY advice? :confused:

After doing a fresh install of XP, first thing...load the latest chipset drivers for your board, available from Intel here:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/support_intel.asp

If you're using the onboard LAN, download and install the latest controller drivers from Intel...from the same link as above. Go to the Windows Update site and install the latest service pack, including all the latest critical updates.
Still fast. no video driver, no audio, no usb driver, no chipset driver
USB drivers are already included with XP...there's no need to try and update them using the disk that was included with your board (the drivers normally included on the Abit disk are for W2K).

Are you using a PCI sound card or the onboard sound?...if a PCI card, is the onboard controller disabled in the BIOS? Is your HDD connected to the onboard IDE controller, PCI controller, or to an onboard SATA controller using the Abit Seriall adapter? IOW, how are all of your drives connected, including Master/Slave jumper positions? In the BIOS, is the HDD set to LBA, CHS, or AUTO? Is the AGP/PCI bus locked at 66/33 in the BIOS? Are all BIOS related overclock settings set to their default values?

If you haven't already, test your RAM (even though it's new, it could still be faulty) using Memtest86+ available here...

http://www.memtest.org

...and run a diagnostic on your HDD, using the utility available from WD here:

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

Last edited:
thank you very much. i will try everything tonight with i get home (im at work now)

alot of those questions you asked im not shure of ill have to look them up when i get home. the ones i know is the harddrive and cdrw are the only two devices in the pc, is has no floppy, and no other cards except the video card on the express 16 slot. im using the onboard audio from the abit board. the hardrive and cdrw are conected thru a common ide cable. HD being master with jumper at master and CDrom at slave, on the slave conector on the cable. unfortunately i do not have any serial ata drives just yet. :( you ask if the HD is set to LBA, CHS, or AUTO, and i dont know. probibly auto. but not shure.

pci clock is 33, i never changed that.

thanks again, :) all check everything else out tonight.

bimmerjim® said:
the hardrive and cdrw are conected thru a common ide cable. HD being master with jumper at master and CDrom at slave, on the slave conector on the cable.

have you tried each on its own IDE cable? was the music you were listening to from the cd or from the hard drive?

also, do you have the latest BIOS?
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?categories=1&model=199

and there are also brand new driver updates from the abit site:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=199

Back