• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats wrong with my pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nvidman

After installing some so called recommended updates :mad:
my pc no longer displays the color black, its more of a reddish black.
My bootup screen is reddish and its also off center, movies I watch have a reddish tint, my screensaver has a reddish tint, pictures I view and print
have a reddish tint, games I play have a reddish tint :mad:
NO BLACK AT ALL... lol...

HELP>>>

First make sure your monitor cable hasn't worked itself loose, just so we have our bases covered. If its not fixed, continue.

Then press windows+r and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. Expand display adapaters then right click on the entry there and select properties. Click on the driver tab and choose to uninstall the driver. Then restart and your color should be back to normal. Windows will reload the MS default video driver for your card.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! If I fixed your problem, you should join our folding team. :D

Yes either get new drivers or simply go into add/remove programs and unistall that update. Sometimes certian drivers or software conflict with updates so you get results as these. As said above fold.

Thanks for the replies but I've tried all that...Tried different drivers, checked connections, booted in safe mode, vga mode and still there... The updates I was trying to instal failed and my pc hung, after a hard restart my display was reddish...Its not the monitor because if I power up the monitor with the pc off it cycles though different colors and it looks normal, solid black background and crisp reds, blues and greens...
I Did a system restore after the failed updates and my display is still corrupt... I also tried a different video card and that didnt fix it...I contacted microsoft and they told me some things to try and nothing has helped.

Last edited:
I would completely remove all video drivers - what cards have you had installed in this PC?

Detonator destroyer can remove all traces of your nvidia drivers, so you should try that.

What other drivers have you tried? Have you had an ATI card installed?

Have you used this monitor on another PC? If the cable or connection is damaged, that could be a problem.

Last edited:
The card I have installed is the nVidia GeForce4 TI4200 128MB 8x agp with 66.93 drivers.
Never had any ATI cards on this pc, just nvidia's... I also have a BFG GeforceFX 5500OC 256MB 8x agp which displays the same redness...
The monitor I use has never been on any other pc and I would think the connection is fine because I didnt have any problems till I tried to update xp... Thats when all hell broke loose...LOL

The colors on the monitor's self-test won't tell you if the signal is coming in properly.

I would plug the monitor into another PC, or plug a different monitor into your PC. This way, you are going to eliminate either the monitor or the PC from the equation. Once you do that you can take steps to fix whatever the problem is. Otherwise, you are probably going to end up spending a ton of time troubleshooting a problem in the completely wrong direction.

Slackfumasta said:
The colors on the monitor's self-test won't tell you if the signal is coming in properly.

I would plug the monitor into another PC, or plug a different monitor into your PC. This way, you are going to eliminate either the monitor or the PC from the equation. Once you do that you can take steps to fix whatever the problem is. Otherwise, you are probably going to end up spending a ton of time troubleshooting a problem in the completely wrong direction.

Werd.

go to ur settings of ur graphics card and make sure that stupid retarded SmartShader or something vision thing isnt on...one of its options makes ur screen reddish...i had that problem once but with my ATI card

Well I fell like a jackass because the whole time I was saying it cant be the monitor...
Well its the monitor, I tried another one and it displayed the correct colors...
Its just weird that my monitor fried right after updating windows...
Well thanks again for all the help guys, its a very nice site, Thanks!!! Mike

No problem Mike... I alway prefer to think that two things cannot go wrong at the same time with a PC, but I have learned that sometimes you must be a pessimist. :-/

You might want to try bending the cord around or examining the connector - if a pin gets bent, it may be able to be bent back, and if there is a problem with the cord, sometimes you can get it to work right if you can keep it bent at the right angle. :)

yeah, i noticed tha t cheap cords screw up alot. like my KVM's monitor cables, one loses connection on the green when not bent the right way, and the other loses the blue. so i have to keep them form movin the wrong way and getting disconnected.

Back