• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton not quite gone after uninstall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

I just picked up a hp which I'm supposed to install a parental control software which is quite simple and I would have done at their house, but after spending a couple hours on it(celeron) and trying to install either norton internet securities or another AV/FW/PC software provided by her ISP, but the thing is eventhough I ran the uninstall for the previous norton av it didn't quite go away even after deleting it's folder. Because for some reason I'm not able to uninstall it I'm also not able to install NIS, or the other software. When I install NIS after restart it tells me that the settings have been changed and is not able to switch them back to default and therefore won't start, so I try to install the other software but it tells me that I can't until norton is unistalled. So what can I do so that I'm able to get rid of norton completely, like reg editing(last resort)?

By the way it is a hp pavillion 513n running windows xp.

From what I hear, norton suicide bombs your system on its way out... I have never experienced this, but I hear its a PITA to remove completely. Don't see why that would be though and I'd have to experience it to really believe it, though I've heard it repeatedly from various sources. I would follow the removal instructions,then run regsupreme or jv16 power tools registry cleaner tool to remove any orphaned entries.

It would help to know what version of norton you are attempting to fully uninstall. :)

Anyways, you may find this link useful:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256b81007b7487?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Last edited:
It's norton antivirus 2002, I didn't know this happened often, to google I go to find some info on this.

I don't want to completely remove it, I just want it to able to install parental control which is what i'm being paid to do, I ran a search on google and I came up with a uninstall utility from symantec which seems to have fixed it and I also got rid the damn content advisor (thanks to firefox), next now is to install the antivirus and parental control, if all goes well I won't have to do any work tomorrow.

Firefox is gone, I just installed because content advisor wouldn't let me go anywhere. Installed ez armor a antivirus firewall parental control software that my isp gives us and it's scanning right now and found a virus, so now I just have to wait. But I'm still amazed at the slowness of this thing, I've used a 800duron that was faster.

Back