• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Problem with Windows Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doh boy

I'm building a computer and im using an Asus P5GD1 motherboard, an Intel 530, 2x256 Patriot XBL memory, Leadtek 6600GT, a 200 GB seagate, a sony ddu1621 DVD-ROM, and a NEC 3500 DVD-RW (this is the config i have when im setting up windows)

i have all of this on a 350 watt antec smartpower.....i have a 350 watt ahanix coming with a case i ordered

ok, now for the actual problem, bear with me...since im going to list all of the errors ive gotten in 4 different cases. first things first...the only way ive gotten the computer to successfully boot is on windows 98 SE....and that os works PERFECTLY....it's when i try upgrading to either windows 2k or XP from win98se that i start getting problems

first case.....i have both my dvd drives hooked up to the regular ATA port and the HD hooked up to the pri_raid port (its set to "IDE Mode"; i dont need to install drivers for it)....when i try installing windows 2k or xp with this config, i get an error before i am even able to start the setup process.....the error says that setup has been halted to prevent damage to my computer and that the error was caused by 0x0000007B. at this point, setup tells me to press F3 to quit, but i notice that the keyboard has frozen....i have a logitech mx duo, and the little numlock light is off (it should be on if its working, ive noticed)

second case.....this time, i have my dvd drives on the raid port and the HD on the regular port......when i try installing the os's this time, setup (after the reboot) says that it can't detect any cd-rom drive and so setup cannot continue. again, im told to press F3 to quit, but my keyboard is frozen, again.

third case......seeing how in the first two cases, the errors referred to the drives hooked up to the raid controller, i tried again with the HD as master and a DVD drive as slave on the plain ATA port. this time setup for XP would actually get past the bios-like menus and would start to get into the xp gui....but halfway loading the screen, the computer will hang and the power led will turn off (strangely resmbling the symptoms i experienced when my previous computer's PSU was dying) as for 2k, it will just hang at the "please wait..." part of setup right after all the initial boot files have been loaded. in both 2k and xp, the keyboard stops working again

fourth case......so...now i tried getting my old computer's hd, which has xp already installed and tried booting off of that....as soon as i select to boot windows xp after POST, my computer will just restart and not even load windows xp

as ive been unable to find anything about incompatabilities with my motherboard and an NT-based os....i have a feeling that my PSU is just underpowered...but then why would windows 98 SE work perfectly?...could someone clarify/solve my issue? thanks a bunch

I have both my dvd drives hooked up to the regular ATA port and the HD hooked up to the pri_raid port (its set to "IDE Mode"; i dont need to install drivers for it
I don't believe XP has native driver support built-in for the ITE 8212F controller, so as long as the controller is enabled in the BIOS...you need to supply the drivers for it during the F6 portion of XP setup (which can be downloaded from the Asus site here)...

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P5GD1&Type=All

I'm not 100% sure the Intel ICH6R controller is recognized by XP setup...I'm assuming it is (as long as the controller is set to IDE, and not RAID), since I don't find the controller drivers on the above Asus support site. If RAID is enabled in the BIOS for the ICH6R controller, then you need to supply the Intel RAID drivers for it...since it's not natively supported by XP.

Floppy Configuration Utility
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...elCat=all&strOSs=44&ProductID=1765&page_nbr=2

lol...i figured it out...it was some memory settings in the BIOS that was a bit screwy...oh well...but now i have a new problem...anyone here know how i can reinstall the windows update client in XP pro? mine kinda deleted itself when i went to microsoft.com to get the critical updates. (my windows update had to be updated...but my computer froze during the process)

What do you mean exactly, by "mine kinda deleted itself when i went to microsoft.com to get the critical updates"? What happens when you try to access the WU site?...and are you running with either SP1 or SP2 installed?

Back