• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot to safe mode, crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rodman

Registered
I really want to be able to use Driver Cleaner, but as soon as I get to the desktop in safe mode, Windows just reboots itself again in reg mode :( What is the problem? I don't think you would call it a crash though but...

A few things, do you have driver cleaner installed when you are trying to reboot into safe mode? Also when a computer reboots itself it sometimes rights entries to the log files if it was caused by an application (or some hardware). That might tell you if there is an application or service that failed to start and caused the reboot. And how far into the loading of safe mode does it get? does loading the desktop include all the icons and menus? walpaper too? and can you do anything before it crashes like move the mouse cursor or similar?

I had Driver cleaner installed, then planed to run it wile in safe mode.

"Also when a computer reboots itself it sometimes rights entries to the log files if it was caused by an application (or some hardware)."

No idea what your talking about, lol.

It reboots when prompt to select a user and sometimes it holds off untill after I select Admin and Windows go's to the desktop with the icons, wallpaper and all, then a redX apears and the system reboots. I don't know what the redX says as it reboots much to fast to read in time. Also the mouse works and all. Maybe it's something gamexp set wronge?

...does your system boot into XP normally, as in NOT IN SAFE MODE? If it does, uninstall driver cleaner, then use the recovery console to go back to before you installed driver cleaner in the first place...

...programs like driver cleaner sometimes cause more problems than they'll ever solve. You run XP, you have a registry cleaner, it's called "restore". A lot of tweaking programs cause more probs than they'll ever fix...

...BTW, have you done a virus scan lately?... :D

...BTW, have you done a virus scan lately?...

No, however I only have 20 processes going in the task manager :rolleyes: Yes it boots fine to Windows, and my rig kills most benchies and runs games very well. If I knew of any good virus scanners and or spyware programes I would use them AND they would have to be free :santa:

...here you go...

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

...I use CA etrust, but was havin probs, I forget who suggested it, but one of the regulars in here sent me to this site, whacked the virus right away. Totally free, and works very well. When my CA license is up, I'm goin with trendmicro, I was impressed, and still run the housecall, just in case CA is missing something. Works very well, at least the online scan does, so I figure the full program must be good too... :thup:

...for spyware, I recommend these two...

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

...both freebies. There's many more out there, but damn, if you use them all, they'll fight with each other. No point in whipping a dead horse... :D

I use and love AVG antivirus. On client's computers that have questionable viruses(pron usually) I set it up to scan every IE process that tries to run. I recommend it to everyone and best of all its free!

www.grisoft.com
Get AVG Free Edition 7.0

Set it up to auto update and if you use your computer 24/7 set it up to run while you sleep.

JT

Back