• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error - What died?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Ok, I'm chillin' surfing the web last night and my machine completely locks up for the first time since I built it a few months ago. This is bothersome. So I reboot and get into windows(XP Pro SP2) and find that a Norton process is pegging my cpu out at 100%- again, strange and bothersome. So I reboot again. I get to the XP login screen, enter my password and the desktop begins to load... then, da dadada ta da....!!!!! BSOD!!!#$!@ :mad: What the heck?!? The main error I get is PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. Googling this will bring up a document from Microsoft explaining what to go check.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291806

I had not added any hardware before this happened, so it's not a driver issue. The only thing I have changed in the last month was switching to my new Mushkin BH-5 and the Microsoft site does say that bad ram can cause this behavior. I have only had the ram for about a month. :mad: So I run memtest86+, Test #5, and get almost instant errors or a total lockup before completing the first pass of Test #5 at either 200FSB or 220FSB, so I believe a stick or both sticks of ram have crapped out. Haven't had a chance to try each stick individually.

By my memtest results I am willing to bet that the ram is the culprit. Actually I hope it is the problem... then I can just get Mushkin to send me a new one. Anyone else ever experienced this problem? If so, was it your ram or something else?

I actually see this happen very often. Ive read many posts concering DOA BH-5 chips. Companies like mushkin are actually very good in these situations and will exchange the mem no problem.

Well, I have determined that one stick is completely bad. I get errors instantly in MemTest86+, thousands of errors while testing this one stick in any Dimm slot. Problem is my old Corsair TCCD doesn't seem to be memtesting properly at the same speeds and settings as it would b4 i took it out and replaced it with the Mushkin BH-5. So- I may be having mobo issues too. :confused:

Well, no problems now. Since I tested my TCCD a while back @200Mhz, I have since flashed to Tictac's v17 de8cpc2t bios and neither my TCCD or BH-5 would test completely with CPU Interface enabled- just disable it and everything fell back in line. Gonna chalk this one up to the modded bios. Now I just need to get in touch with Mushkin and get them to send me a new stick of BH-5.

The first and second symptoms are similar to the symptoms I got when overclocking my PC2100 DDR SDRAM to 138 mhz. Windows blacked out and rebooted when running a defragmentation process. Amazingly, eventually, I was able to go higher than 138 mhz stabily. The cause was probably the RAM overheating, because I never gotten that symptom again when an air conditioner was blowing cool air into the case.

Maybe you're required to get RAM heatsinks.

I have great case cooling, so I don't believe it has anything to do with the RAM overheating- besides, all my sticks already have RAM sinks.

Now I have another problem... my frickin' SATA RAIDx0 setup keeps giving me file corruption errors. I can get Windows XP Pro SP1 loaded, but when I attempt to install SP2... the install either fails, or if it completes and the system reboots... windows will not start again after the SP2 install. But when I install on just one hard drive. It seems to be working- XP loaded and all updates installed. I am going to try and install on the other SATA HD and see if I get errors. If they both work fine independantly, then I don't understand why they won't work together in RAIDx0. :confused:

Back