• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

all my text has gone italic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seaborn

I cant figure out why. Is there a setting in WinXP that made this happen. Almost everything is in italic. Like Webpages, text in folders. Its weird and I would like to get normal text back. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Check to make sure you have the Arial.ttf in your fonts folder...C:\WINDOWS\Fonts. When that particular font is missing, programs will often-times substitute the Arial Italic.ttf font to replace it....since the Arial font is the default for a number of programs.

I checked and its in there. Weird problem. First time this has ever happened and I can not figure it out.

Delete any and all shortcuts in the fonts folder (C:\WINDOWS\Fonts), and replace them with the actual font file. By expanding the following Key in the Registry (Start | Run | Type...regedit, and click OK)...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | WindowsNT | CurrentVersion | Fonts

...you can also double check the path of each font and look for any suspicious paths (check all the path's listed in the RH pane of the above listed Key).

When a rogue program decides to install its own version of system fonts, it may replace the original version of the font file with a shortcut in the fonts folder. Once this program is uninstalled, the shortcut may now point to a font file that no longer exists. XP in turn reacts by turning all unspecified fonts into italics upon next reboot.

wow redduc990 heck of an answer. I had a problem at work not to long ago where this happened and nobody could figure a solution. The client ended up getting a new laptop as ahe was due for it but now I know. :)

That is what I love about this place. There may be a lot of noise in some areas, but there are some extremely knowledgable people around here willing to help where they can.

Cowboy Shane said:
That is what I love about this place. There may be a lot of noise in some areas, but there are some extremely knowledgable people around here willing to help where they can.

100% agreed.
I talk crap most of the time, but when I can help I do my upmost to help other people. I'm still learning so I'm always asking n00b questions.

I think I'll note this thread and its information. I have done a relaod or two because of this VERY issue. . . Good work redduc, and thanks.

Z

Back