• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blank blue screen - possible causes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theiviaxx

Registered
i apologize if this is a bit off topic, but i am trying to gather someinformation about some possible causes for a blank blue screen. if anyone has any input, feel free to share.

Are you referring to a blank log-in screen, or a blank BSOD?...and are you experiencing this problem, or are you just curious?

Yes, I've never actually seen a BSOD that was completely blank, though I have seen hung logins or logoffs which leave you at a blue screen. BSOD's and these hangs are different hues of blue though.

Is there a mouse cursor present?

nope, this is a strandard BSOD with no text. I am curious as to why it gives no indication of whats causing it.

Have you checked evenvwr.msc for system errors?

Please list all hardware details - mobo, pci cards, et cetera. Any details about what the system is doing when this occurs, or what programs are in use could be helpful. BIOS version would be good to know also.

Generally driver updates resolve BSOD's, so updating drivers is the first thing you should do.

Last edited:
Turned out to be related to network card drivers and a linksys network card. thanks guys.

Back