• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

failed memory module?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadOnion

I have one Samsung pc2700 512 stick of ram in my 64 2800+ / vnfs3-250 comp. I've getting critical errors and sometimes blue screens in various games (wc3,etc.). Recently i purchased World of Warcraft, and now i am constantly getting errors and i am unable to play. At first i though this was a software problem, i tried everything drivers,etc. But someone recently told me to run windows memory diagnostic, and after 10 "passes" i failed stride6 tests every time, 702 errors and when i enabled view errors by module - they all pointed to my one peice of ram. Is my ram damaged? the thing is, it runs fine in normal windows operations -- only in certaint games does it crash or cause any problems. Also what could be the cause of this? I reset all my bios settings, but before when i was playing around with overclocking i had set the ram voltage to 2.7v. Could this have been a bad mistake on my part...?

should i start browsing for new ram with my left over christmas money =\ ?

If it's not dead yet, i have new ideas:

1) windows memory diag says that reseating the module fixes 1/3 of problems, going to go try it right now.

2) i read on some other forum that a guy was having a similiar problem in World of warcraft, and he simply loosened his memory settings. Would this work? If i should try it, what should i set it to? it's running 2.5 3 3 6 right now i believe.

Last edited:
i was having the same problem in wow were i would drop from overheating on my cpu i later found out that my cpu is bad their is a air gap were the matel hits the chip their is a space could on loads i would hit 75-80C and idle at 45-51C also i was getting mad error on my band new ram it was all the cpu.

loosening timings could easily help, and also increasing your dimm voltage, if you have the option, will help as well. Also, try running memtest86+ using test #5. If your memory is erroring out then this will nail it down, and will also help you find the stable combination of timings and voltage to keep your memory stable.

see the thing is my memory failed because of raising the dimm voltage. So it's defiently not this? and memtest would give me good timings for stable performance at the end of it's tests? well im going to go ahead and give it a try.

Walmart, after it crashes i sometimes run speedfan,etc. and the temps arn't higher than 50C ever. But could this "gap" be where the sensor doesn't sense? and your saying you were getting ram errors although it was your cpu? hmm, if anyone else confirms this i might try taking off my cpu reapplying it with thermal paste and putting it on firmly.

Helsyeah, ok i got memtest86. I'm currently running it on my other computer, it's passed it 5 times so far without error. This been my ram's ok? How long should i let it run? or is this a loop? Also, should i run all the other tests? #1-9?

I had no errors the first 5 times, then when i came back and it was on pass 10 of test #5 there were alot of errors. What does this mean? Im going to try and play around with the memory timings, setting my 2.5 3 3 6 to 2.5 4 4 8 like someone else reccomended to me.

In general test #5 is what i, and most others, use to test the system ram specifically... This test in paticular stresses the ram quite a bit. The other tests also test the ram as well as the cache on the processor... In general, if your ram can pass better than 64 passes of test #5, then more than likely it is stable. If you want to be 150% certain that the ram is stable, get it to pass 24 hours of test #5.

Well my ram can't pass 64 passes. So does this directly mean i have to replace my ram? It's definitely a ram problem? or can i still try and tweak it in bios? timings, voltage,etc. If so, what should i try? Currently it's running at 2.6v 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166fsb.

sounds like you have bad memory.... its not under warranty by chance is it? you can rma it if its not stable at their gaurenteed speed....

Last edited:
UPDATE: I ran my memory at PC2100 speeds with a 3-3-3-8 timing, and it's stable! This will be my temporary solution until Samsung sends me a new stick. Thanks everyone.

Back