• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying some upgrades, some advice please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SantiMun

Hey all I've got about $100 to burn on upgrading my rig, I have some ideas floating around and would like this fine community's advice before I spend any of it.

I have two choices, the first one is to get a chaintech AV-710 soundcard to replace my old one (see sig.) AND a Logitech mx 510 optical mouse.

Chaintech AV-710: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=292003&affiliate=nextag

Logitecc mouse: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearchadv.hmx?SCriteria=3491066&CartID=done&nextloc=

Choice number two is to get some more ram. I have 512mb pc2100 ram so I'm thinking of buying another stick of 256mb pc2100 or replacing what I have now for 512mb of pc3200. What would be a better upgrade, 768mb pc2100 or 512mb pc3200??

Thanks again, you guys are great and have a happy new year :beer:

Looks like that mobo does indeed support dual channel DDR, so definitely add another stick of RAM to take advantage of double memory bandwidth. I have that Chaintech AV-710 soundcard in my "intertainment" computer and I love it, but you can upgrade that later since it's cheap.

sounds like an idea but what should it be? another stick of pc2100 or go with the pc3200 and replace that with what i have now??

Well, you can take advantage of the dual memory bandwidth if you get another "matching" stick of pc2100. I am not sure myself if getting a 512mb stick to work as in "dual channel" mode will work with your 256mb stick you have now. And depending on how quick you can get another 100 bucks burning a hole in your pocket, and if you are considering gaming on this rig. I would recommend getting a decent stick of pc 3200 512mb preferably some of this ram with the TCCD chips on it like this here Patriot stuff or some of the PQI stuff. They are a bit more than 100 bucks, but you know, just wait another week or two to save up the extra scratch, eat some ramen noodles all week :santa: . I know there are people out there with more exp than me, but, that is what I would do, personally. Just IMHO. Good luck no matter what you do.

sorry, i guess i'm not being detailed enough. I currently have TWO sticks of 256mb pc2100 ram so I am taking advantage of the dual channel. What I want to know is if i should get an extra stick of 256mb pc2100 (my mobo has four slots) OR should I get TWO sticks of 256mb pc3200 ram and just take out the pc2100 ram? Sorry for any confusion, and thanks again for all the responses.

If I were you, I'd ebay your current memory and take the proceeds, in addition to your $100, and buy some PC3200. (2x256 or if you raise enough, cheap 2x512)

I don't think you can do 2x256 & 1x512 and run in DC...but i've been wrong before ;)

Ok, I thought you had 1X512. Which CPU do you have? Your siggy says 3ghz, but is that 800 bus or 3.06 533 bus. Three sticks of RAM will NOT allow dual channel in Intel systems.

Back