• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alphabetize "Favorites" In Internet Explorer-How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The folder that is in "Documents and Settings" is ok. The one thats in the toolbar in Internet Explorer is not.
Also, the document and settings one doesn't have some of the things that are in the other.

I'm still lost.

click favorites in IE then go down to the listing and right click any link then select sort by name. Keep in mind that folders will always stay on top. :)

snvpa said:
click favorites in IE then go down to the listing and right click any link then select sort by name. Keep in mind that folders will always stay on top. :)

I have tried this but that option is not there. :mad: :bang head

Can't see any reason why it woudln't be there, what version number are you running? Are you free from toolbars and malware? Normally the sort by name option is placed directly above properties.

Go to favorites>organize favorites, then drag and drop to alphabetize manually.

EDIT: You need to sort from the menu at the top (file, edit, view, favorites, tools, help), not the sidebar, as that will not have the sort by name option.

As for docs and settings, some of the favorites are probably for all users, and some are only for the username you are logged into windows with, and this would explain the discrepancy.

Last edited:
You might also want to check the following Registry entries (Start | Run | Type... regedit, and click OK)...

HKEY CURRENT USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | User Shell Folders

In the RH pane of the above Key, set the "Favorites" String Value path to... %USERPROFILE%\Favorites

...by right clicking the Value Name, and selecting "Modify" | In the "Edit String" window that opens, check to make sure this appears in the "Value data" field. In addition, also check the "Favorites" String Value under this Key...

HKEY CURRENT USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | Shell Folders

In the RH pane, set the "Favorites" String Value path to...

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Favorites ...where Username is the current user profile name.

Last edited:
If you click on the favorites button Redduc, it will open a pane in the left side, and the sort option is not available there - I expect that this is what he is attempting, but he called it a toolbar which it isn't exactly, so I think it put us on the wrong foot a little. Refer to my edit above.

I.M.O.G. said:
Can't see any reason why it woudln't be there, what version number are you running? Are you free from toolbars and malware? Normally the sort by name option is placed directly above properties.

Go to favorites>organize favorites, then drag and drop to alphabetize manually.

I'm using XP Pro. Should have IE6 and everything is fully updated. The only thing added is a Google search toolbar that is intergrated in.
I always run Adaware, Spybot, Norton antivirus and firewall. Everything is always updated.

If I do it manually, I would have to think about it. :p

I.M.O.G. said:
If you click on the favorites button Redduc, it will open a pane in the left side, and the sort option is not available there - I expect that this is what he is attempting, but he called it a toolbar which it isn't exactly, so I think it put us on the wrong foot a little. Refer to my edit above.
Ahhh, yeah...I see what you mean.

So wait, are you fixed, or you still cannot alphabetize from the drop down menu at the top? Do you see sort by name in the drop down menu when you right click after clicking on the favorites menu option?

redduc900 said:
You might also want to check the following Registry entries (Start | Run | Type... regedit, and click OK)...

HKEY CURRENT USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | User Shell Folders

In the RH pane of the above Key, set the "Favorites" String Value path to... %USERPROFILE%\Favorites

...by right clicking the Value Name, and selecting "Properties" | In the "Edit String" window that opens, check to make sure this appears in the "Value data" field. In addition, also check the "Favorites" String Value under this Key...

HKEY CURRENT USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | Shell Folders

In the RH pane, set the "Favorites" String Value path to...

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Favorites ...where Username is the current user profile name.

I will try this later. I just got up and I'm still typing with one eye closed. :)

Thanks for all the help people.

I.M.O.G. said:
So wait, are you fixed, or you still cannot alphabetize from the drop down menu at the top? Do you see sort by name in the drop down menu when you right click after clicking on the favorites menu option?

No. This option is not there. It is in the main folder. (c:/documents and settings/myusername/favorites

Just did it with XP Pro, from the TOP menu bar, the strictly text one. By that I mean
File Edit View Favorites Tools Help
Then from the Favorites drop down menu, select any link, right-click and select Sort by name, second from the bottom, above properties.
The option isn't available on the sidebar

I want a darn screenshot of the right click menu when you click on favorites... :D I still feel like we are on different wavelengths.

All of us have given him the same info, so I think possibly he is trying to do something different. Maybe he is trying to alphabetize the history drop down list instead. ( The list that drops down if you press the arrow next to the address bar.)

cack01 said:
All of us have given him the same info, so I think possibly he is trying to do something different. Maybe he is trying to alphabetize the history drop down list instead. ( The list that drops down if you press the arrow next to the address bar.)

No. I'm not trying this.

Thanks. I'll get a screen shot as soon as I can.

Had to use my digital camara for the shot. I forgot hot to get a screen shot. Hope this works.

Attachments

• Daytona-Ormond-Dad 010.jpg
    Daytona-Ormond-Dad 010.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 268
Back