• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get this Mushkin RAM for new A64 rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eysikal

Registered
Hey guys,

I have a chance to get a really good deal on THIS Mushkin Black Level II ram. I can get it for about $150.

I am wondering whether I should go for a different type of ram (i.e. one that is rated higher or a different type of chip, I am assuming this RAM uses BH-5 chips)

I will be OCing my system, and this is what it will be:

A64 3000+ 3200+ 3500+ (haven't decided which yet) all 939 90 nm
Asus A8N-E Premium mobo
BFG 6800 GT OC PCI-E

eysikal said:
Ok,

I just confirmed that the chips are indeed BH-5. Do you think $200 is a good price?

You do mean TCCD not bh-5 right?

TCCD is not better than BH5, provided you volt BH5 properly. This KHX3200 I'm playing around with is doing high 250's with just 3.3v. 2-2-2 timings as well. There's no TCCD that will do this. Not even the new revision which people were raving about. I know TCCD can hit 270's, but the sticks I've got are capable of that as well with a bit more juice, I'm sure. Moral of the story, take BH5 over everything.

The ram linked to in the first post is TCCD, the bh-5 stuff from Mushkin does not have the "V2" in the name.

The only reason, in my mind, for possibly going with TCCD over bh-5 would be if you were limited in the amount of voltage you could give the ram so I'm with Gautam on this.

Meh, I hate when people say "BH5 is better, if...". TCCD is overall the better RAM. Requiring much less voltage and still being able to overclock very high with loose timings is better than requiring everything that you will need to provide BH5 the voltage. It's like saying "FireGL is better than an X800. Provided all you do is render".

Back