• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opening downloaded files automatically in sp2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rutkus

I'm on windows xp using internet explorer.

before SP2 was installed I was able to open a few files automatically as soon as they downloaded by checking the checkbox on the bottom to always perform this action.

after sp2 is installed, they now make you download and save every file that you attempt to download and you are no longer able to just open the file automatically from when it downloads to the temp directory. does anyone know where to adjust this setting?

If no "Save as" dialog appears when attempting to download a file...Open My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | On the "File Types" tab, click the appropriate file type in the "Registered File Types" box | Click the "Advanced" button | Click the "Confirm open after download" check box to select it | Repeat for each file type you want to change.

If for example, you're having a problem downloading *.vbs (VBScript) files (no "Save as" dialog appears)...Scroll down to "VBScript Script File", and highlight it | Click the "Advanced" button | Place a checkmark in "Confirm open after download".

If you'd like to just set a particular directory as the default download directory, you'll need to edit the Registry. Start | Run | Type... regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Internet Explorer

Right click the Download Directory String Value name in the RH pane and select "Modify" | In the "Value data" field, enter the path to the directory you'd like to be the default.

Last edited:
I tried doing the folders option and I'm still having a problem. the filetype in question is the *.snp which is a access snapshot file. is there a registry setting to automatically open the files? I keep getting some kind of a "security intervention" that always wants me to save it.

My mistake. Both the fact that you upgraded to SP2, and also that the old style download dialog has been replaced by the "Do you want to run or save this file" dialog...went right over my head. If I'm understanding you correctly, the "File Download-Security Warning" dialog (with three buttons: Run - Save -Cancel) isn't appearing, and just downloading the files directly to a temp directory. Check the security setting in IE, under Tools | Internet Options | "Security" tab | "Internet" zone | "Custom Level" button | Downloads-->Enable "Automatic prompting for file downloads".

Back