• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use non sp2 cd key with xp sp2 install disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

My hard drive crashed on my compaq. Frustrating thing is they included a recovery partition instead of an install disk. Can i use the sp2 disk from my dads laptop to install xp with the cd key that is on the side of my compaq? (which was pre sp2)

Thanks,

Chris

Most likely it will not work. The key is tied to the compaq OEM version of windows. If you try it and it does work let us know.

Well, my dads compaq laptop doesn't even have a cd in the box unless he moved it. How would i go about getting xp back onto my computer in this case?

Get in touch with Compaq and see if they will send you a recovery CD. My IBM lappy came with the recovery partition too but I wiped it when I repartitioned to dual boot it so I called and got them to send me a recovery CD. Good luck:D

Compaq recovery CD's are kinda specialized and can only be used in their proprietary machines.
IF my memory serves me right they run around 30$ for all the Softpaqs and recovery CD"s (fast shipped). Good luck on the translation on HP support........ All you need is the PC version and model number, and some cash or credit card, and hope that machione still has the discs up for grabs. I would opt for the softpaq since they contain the updates to your BIOS/driver kits.

Yeah, compaq told me that i could either buy their recovery cd or I could use a retail cd but i would have to use that cd key. I've got to find an oem disk somewhere.

Just a bit of warning, if you use a non SP2 key to install an SP copy of XP it WILL lock you out asking you to change the key and do activation. There are different "key sets" if you will for each release of windows, one for no SP, one for SP1 and another for SP2. I tested this out recently when reinstalling my machine out of curiosity. Used one of my older keys on a new disc and after install it popped up saying I had an invalid key and wouldnt go any further. And this wasnt even with an OEM disc either.

Back