• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro and activation with new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Will windows let me reuse my copy of XP Pro with my new system, see sig below. I was going from a a XP-M and a DFI mobo. So everything is the same except for mobo and cpus.

so you just had to do the telephone thing and explain to them that it was an upgrade and they let you?

If the old activation is over a period of time, like 18 months or so (not exactly sure) it will activate without a phone call. Micro$oft purges there sys from time to time :)

yeah, i re-installed windows about 3 times in 1 week, the next time, it wouldnt activate, so i called, explained i was doing upgrades and needed to re-install, they gave me the phone code and it was fine, ive re-installed like twice since then, and had no problems.

dicecca112 said:
well it's only been at the most 6 months.
I got hit this morming with a re-activation but it's been almost 2 years and it activated ok. You may have to call, but it's pretty painless.

dicecca112 said:
my only worry is that its a duallie and a new mobo going from a single cpu system.
Should be ok. Most of your hardware is the same so if asked, you're just updating mobo w/cpu :)

I just reactivated windows after switching CPU/Ram/Hard drive (size)/ and the motherboard. As long as you have the software on only one computer at a time is what matters.

What number to call?

I am going to be doing a clean install of XP Pro. My current set-up was originally put together in July '04. Will I need to call and let them know, and if so what is the number to get a hold of them?

- J

You might not have to call if you haven't reactivated at all or very little before. You'll get the number to call when you finish your install and the process begins.

I just Rang Microsoft uk and they let me activate XP Home on my second machine? they didnt even ask me why or what the problem was they just gave me the code

It does not matter how many different components you have changed. As long as you only have the software on one computer at a time then they will let you activate it. The only two questions I've been asked when doing a phone activation are ( I've done about 20 activations with one of my copies):

Is this the first time activating your copy of windows?

Is this copy of windows installed on any other computers?

Back