• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Style or Windows Classic Style

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattyhayden

Registered
Need to sort this out. Will direct X games run better over the classic style with the visual enhanchments all set to off?
Or Will it run at the same frame rates with Windows XP style desktop,
Or is there no preformance gain using either?

one way to find out :D

personally i dont think it matters at all - since when you are playing a game your video card is not rendering the windows GUI - it is working on your game.

I think the only difference is that with the classic theme, you should save a few mbs of ram but probably not more than 10 mbs.

No you save more then 10 mbs. I turned it off once and it said how much ram it was. It was like 20 or something let me check again. Nvm I could of sworn it was more but it seems its only 2mbs

mattyhayden said:
Need to sort this out. Will direct X games run better over the classic style with the visual enhanchments all set to off?
Or Will it run at the same frame rates with Windows XP style desktop,
Or is there no preformance gain using either?

Realistically? You would notice nothing. You might get twelve "points" in some worthless benchmarking 'tool'(used subjectively) but you have one of the faster home computers out there(earth) and 20 MB of ram isn't going to help you.

Graphically speaking it won't make a difference.

Don't think it makes a bit of difference, but the new Windows style is butt ugly. Classic all the way!

Actually, I'm trying to get used to Litestep on my desktop, but I am finding it really annoying.

Back