• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ vdimm booster or keep dual channel and voltmodd nf7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MagicMonkey

Registered
^^^^^^^^^

how much of a performance loss from going single channel will i get. Is it worth losing dual channel? Need some input thanks.

MagicMonkey said:
^^^^^^^^^

how much of a performance loss from going single channel will i get. Is it worth losing dual channel? Need some input thanks.

umm does your mb only have 2 slots? why wouldnt you keep dual channel and use the ocz booster?

I'm pretty sure the OCZ vdimm booster needs to use a specific slot to function, and that slot is one of the two needed for Dual Channel operation.

You could always bust out the soldering iron and do a vmod. From what I've seen it's really not that bad of a mod.

I'd still like to hear an answer to the question though. It really all depends on how much you gain from the voltmod, but I'm not really sure how much real preformance X FSB would yeild as oppsed to Dual channel.

With a VDIMM voltmod on the NF7-S, and with an unmodified +3.3VDC rail, the highest VDIMM you will be able to get will be in the area of ~3.1V, likely a little bit less. To go above ~3.1V with a voltmod, one needs to overvolt their +3.3VDC rail. This is because the NF7-S feeds VDIMM off of the 3.3V rail.

Because of this, an OCZ DDR Booster is really the easiest, and safest way to get lots of VDIMM with this board.

I'm pretty sure that you can use a booster, and still keep dual channel with an NF7-S. You might need to bend one of the heatsinks, but I am quite certain that several people here have used a Booster successfully with their NF7-S, and two sticks of RAM in dual channel.

I have bh-5 black lvl 2 so it should be a big gain in fsb. Could one of you link me or tell me how to keep dual channel with the vdimm booster?

The booster wont fit in the left-most slot unless you move the heatsink thats on the booster. Its held on by an almost sticky tape stuff. Very easy to remove, just do each side little by little, or you will break the mosfets off. I removed the heatsink, moved it upward just a tad to get clearance from the cap on the motherboard, and its sitting nicely in the left slot, with my ram still in dual channel.

The mod for the heatsink to use the booster in dimm 1 is very easy, but you will still need a vtt mod.

Indeed, to run above ~ 3.2v (iirc) you need to vtt mod the mobo...
As for modding the board, you'll be lucky to get even 3.1v vdimm with an unmodded PSU 3.3v line... using 3.1 vdimm w/stock 3.3, the line dropped to a litle over 3.05v under load... the board does however overvolt slightly on the vdimm, so you get ~ 3.0v when setting 2.9 in bios... Getting the booster to work is going to require a mod either way if you want over ~3.2v (unless vtt tracks higher) but the booster does mean 2 mods less (no 3.3 rail, vdimm)

Back