• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH-5 memory & timings vs performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pitsi

Registered
I have two 256MBs sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200 memory. On each module it says:

CMX256A-3200LLPT
XMS3205 v1.1
400MHz 2226-T1

Is this a BH-5 chip that everyone is so excited about?!!!

And btw, what will be the performance hit, if I replace these with two 512MB modules at 2.5-3-3-8 on an XP-M system? (same clock speed, different timings)

You'll have a definite edge in benchmarks with 2x256 at 2-2-2. However, half a gig of memory is a sizeable amount, and 2x512 regardless of the timings will have better useability. Multitasking will be much smoother, and load times all around will be much lower.

pitsi said:
I have two 256MBs sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200 memory. On each module it says:

CMX256A-3200LLPT
XMS3205 v1.1
400MHz 2226-T1

Is this a BH-5 chip that everyone is so excited about?!!!

And btw, what will be the performance hit, if I replace these with two 512MB modules at 2.5-3-3-8 on an XP-M system? (same clock speed, different timings)

Low timings are sure to make a definite difference. However, know that Bh-5 requires a considerable amount of voltage to be worth your while. So if you cannot supply the ram with at least 3.0+ (preferrably 3.3) volts, then you're better off looking at something else. However, know that the loss is not quite as big as some people make it seem. I run some TCCD in my backup Ultra Infinity at 260 fsb 2.5-3-3-7 and it's just as fast as can be.

deception``

I'm pretty sure he's asking about 2x256 with tight timings versus 2x512 with relaxed ones, unless I missed his point.

Gautam said:
I'm pretty sure he's asking about 2x256 with tight timings versus 2x512 with relaxed ones, unless I missed his point.
Yeap, that's exactly what I mean.

I currently have the memory I described above but I am on a tight budget. So I thought, why not selling these on eBay and with only maybe $20 more get a full gig of memory, even at relaxed timings?

Would you do it?

It depends on what you do. If synthetic benchmarks aren't important to you, then the 2x512 would definitely be a lot quicker in about 99% of real-world situations. But if you want all the speed you can get, you might regret parting with such nice sticks. I'd advise you to buy a 512mb stick, and then use it in addition to your 2x256. You could still run a 1 gig dual channel array like this, and if you ever need the tight timings exclusively, could pull out the 512 meg stick and just use the 2x256 as needed.

Usually quite well. Really its only KHX3000 that ever seems to have any problems, because of the SPD chip. Running 1t at high speeds gets difficult. If you get low speed BH6, you could hit the same problems. But any PC3200 or higher BH5 is as good as it gets.

Gautam, so ur saying if you get 2x256 in the first channel and 1x512 in the second channel you can still run dual-channel?? that means im gonna go out and buy some Kingston HyperX 512MB stick... =P just to match the ones i got now.,...

Back