• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PNY RAM at Best Buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2003ZYMach1

Registered
I have Best Buy gift cards from Christmas and can't find anything else I can make myself purchase except RAM. I noticed they have PNY PC3200 512 sticks for $99 - $30 MIR = $69 this week. I have dug around and can't find much info about them except that they are probably using Spectek chips. Does anyone know what the default timings on these are or anything?

Edit - from what I'm seeing online the PNY memory is pretty much crap. going to take a look at what chips are on the sticks at Worst Buy and make a decision from there... not buying anything with Bravo or Spectek chips on them, not worth the hassle. Too bad their Kingston ram is so ridiculously overpriced.. :(

Last edited:
Went up there and most of it was out of stock. The few things they did have were cheap junk... I have no idea what to use these gift cards on.. I hate best buy!

2003ZYMach1 said:
Went up there and most of it was out of stock. The few things they did have were cheap junk... I have no idea what to use these gift cards on.. I hate best buy!

I got some and just used it on a ton of cans of compressed air. If I dont use them to clean out dust, I can at least use them when I am bored to push a pen across my desk.

Wait until Best Buy has a sale and rebate deal going on with their Kingston Ram, then pick some up with your gift card. On sale and with rebates what is typically a $150 set of 2x256 ends up costing about $80-$90, plus tax...much more reasonable.

Their ram overpriced? Really? My teacher told me she payed them $30 to install some new ram for her... IT should be a crime to charge $30 to put in a stick of ram.

Geek Squad has to make their money somewhere... hah. The real crime is that someone is stupid enough to pay $30 for RAM install.

Best buy sucks for the most part when it comes to overpricing things. They tried to charge me 50 dollars more for each of 2 512 pc2700 kvr than they were selling the same thing in pc3200 for. same chips and pcbs but they were convieniently out of the pc3200. they are insane if they think 1 512 stick of pc2700 is worth 159 dollars. The onlyt good part about BB is they usually are good about returning items without a huge hassle. BTW the geek squad is useless. They dont even give them very thorough training on anything.

Techs at best buy will vary. The only reccommended experience is A+, which is easy.. and thats not even required to work there. If you find someone good, which can happen, you will get good tech support from them.. Many, if not most, are incompitent..

Back