• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Affect performace/framerates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunnerMan

Well I was reading other posts about RAM and people say a gig will improve games, but I have also heard more RAM wont get you very much performance... My System AMD46 3200 754 ClawHammer ocd to 2.2 Ghz, 512 mb DDR PC-2100, BFG 6800 Ultra, ASUS K8V SE Deluxe. In most games such as BF:V and MoV I get little to no lag at full settings. In Flight Simulator 2004 with full setting and add on clouds I get no more than 30 FPS where ever I go(I think its the clouds). When I am at a very dence area such as Seattle I get 10-20 FPS and a little lag but for the most part it runs smooth. Will ram increase my FPS so I get no lag? Also if FS it takes a moment for textures to load and fully develop when I look around (they load faster now that I got an Ultra but they still load kind of slow). Is this this because of my slow RAM not putting out the data it needs quick enugh? Thanks

hrmmm... at first u said you didn't have lag... but yea, your ram is pretty damned slow... get some to match ur fsb (actually, get some that is higher than ur fsb, and then underclock it for better timings)... and get a gig if u really want... i got 512, and its fine, but my videoc ard sucks, so ionno which is bottlenecking my comp more, im guessin the vid card is... anyway, get some more ram....

offtopic begging: ...now that I got an Ultra...

does that mean u had a normal/GT model of a 6800?? if so SEND IT HERE!!!

Get yourself at least some nice PC3200 RA. That PC-2100 RAM is holding you back. And 1GB will help so get 2 sticks of PC3200 512.

No sorry SolidXSnake it was an old GF4 MX 440 64 meg...you wont want it as I had it OCd sooo high it now artifacts at stock... So well no lag in games like BFV etc but they are not as graphic intence as FS2k4 I guess, the slow loading textures seem like a RAM problem, I want to get some PC-4200 so I can overclock more and keep better timings... just wonderin whats causing me these slow FPS.

depending on the games it will either help a lot or a little. 1gb i would say will probably help but yet faster memory will help a lot more and that is probably what is wrong. all your stuff is fast but your memory is way too slow. and for flight simulator i am not sure but planetside i was using 512mb and was getting medium framerate a little choppiness here and there when i put a gig of my slow ram it ran smooth as silk. I read somewhere that memory can affect your framerate but if that is true or not i am not 100% sure all I am sure of is that it will not hurt.

I tried recentrly my PC with 512 MB, 1GB and 1.5 GB. As I tought, the best today is 1 GB, more and more games needs more than 512 MB (FarCry, HL2...). In HL2, I went beyond 1 GB, but no big difference. About the speed, the quantity won't change your framerate of course. Maybe some little lockups beacause of the hardrive loading, but nothing important with 512 MB or more for the moment. I agree with the others, you may see a great framerate improvement with faster memory. Take at least some basic PC3200 to use it at 200 MHz 2.5/3/3/7 for exemple. If you have a bit more money, try some low latency PC3200 or some PC3500/4000 to reduce the timings.

++

Thomas

Back